Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Battery Doesn't Respond to Critical Level Settings

• Please log in to reply

jbird3

jbird3

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just received a new 9 cell battery for my Dell Studio 1536 laptop. I have my laptop set so that once the battery level reaches 5%, the computer will go to sleep. This worked perfectly with my old battery but not with my new battery. Now it doesn't go to sleep when it reaches 5%, and instead fully drains and then the computer shuts off suddenly. Do you know of a way to fix this?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
If it's not a genuine "original equipment" battery recommended & supplied by Dell, it won't be compatible with the battery-monitoring system.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 27 December 2010 - 02:51 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Dells get incredibly upset if you try and use something with them that doesn't have a Dell tag on it. This includes the power supply (they don't like the universal ones at all) and the battery. Given half a chance they'll complain about anything.

But yes, it's more likely it's not a Dell battery, and therefore the (Dell) software isn't interested. Battery calibration may be an option, because at the very least a laptop with low battery should either sleep or hibernate, not just conk out.

Edited by Neil Jones, 27 December 2010 - 05:19 PM.