Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

URL Shortner Secuirty Question

• Please log in to reply

Imnya

Imnya

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I would like to encrypt some bookmarks so that one who may be using my computer could not access some of the sites. I have not been able to find any secure bookmarking sites, but have been suggested that I use a URL Short-ner that requires a password. Thus, I would use the "shortened" link with a password to access these private (to me) sites.

What I cant seem to find is info on how secure these sites/links are. Are the passwords "attached" within the ink, or do they go through an outside computer/server to store the PW info???

I do realize that we are not talking "super secure" in any case here.. My big concern is that I don't want my info accessible to others or logged..

Hope this makes sense Below are some websites that offer this service... Any other suggestions info welcome!

My link#1

My link#2

My link#3

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If truth be told, you're trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

A far easier solution would be to simply do one of the following depending on which browser you use:

1) Make a new user account for you and an account for somebody else. Assuming Internet Explorer, you'll have a Favorites folder for each account. Put your links in your own favorite account folder and they won't show up on the other account(s).
2) For alternative browsers, Firefox supports the use of profiles. By default a new profile is made for each user account, though this can be changed to make a common shared profile.