Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor went black, now PC won't turn on

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Some care is needed in replacing many Dell PSUs. It is not a hard job to do.

Please read this article which will give a little background and a short list of
safe replacement PSUs. I would go for the
Thermaltake or the Corsair .

> http://www.coolscree...grade_dell.html

Edit. Since found that information at the above link is misleading., please ignore. Have PMd realapp.

Edited by iammykyl, 29 December 2010 - 02:06 PM.

Advertisements

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
I'm going to try a new PSU and see if that works. Thanks for the advice. We'll see what happens :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I strongly recommend that you do the basic test on the present PSU before purchasing a new one, just on the off chance that it is not the issue,see below for "how to"

The one simple test I can suggest is to remove the PSU from the computer (make notes of where each connection goes, take a digital photograph if you can before removal) and follow the testing procedure as described at the link below
http://www.smpspower...rs-pinouts.html if the PSU does not activate at all then you know it is completely dead, if it activates but the PSU fan spins slowly, it smells or it is noisy it is bad and it needs replacing.

It will take less than 30 minutes to do and it could save you both time and money and I`m all for that :D

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
I can't seem to find the test that you mention in the link. It takes me to the website but I can't find anything for testing.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Apologies it doesn`t actually say testing, it says "To start up a stand alone PSU for testing purposes, you need to short PS_ON pin to one of the common pins" basically if you look at the 2 diagrams at the top right of the page your MB main power connector is most likely the one to the right, you need to short out pins 13 the black pin and 14 the green pin, don`t worry this test is perfectly safe, I hope this clears it up.

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
Ok, I get it now except I have never done this and I'm not quite certain how you "short out the pins". Can you explain what exactly I am suppose to do. :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Remove the power supply from the computer, after doing this (make notes of where each connection goes, take a digital photograph if you can before removal) connect the power cord to the PSU and wall socket, use a paper clip or something similar bent into a U shape, hold the 20 pin MB power connector and touch pin 13 black and pin 14 green with opposite ends of the paper clip to see if the PSU activates, just to reassure you this is perfectly safe.

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
Ok, this is what happened.
I did the test, nothing happened on the PSU. So figured it was dead.

I bought a PSU which my local computer tech said would be compatible. However, I noticed it doesn't fit(physically) It has a 1/0 switch and power plug and fan are on wrong side. He told me I could take it back if I try it out and doesn't work so I figured ,why not. So, I plugged in all the power supply connectors although I just let the PSU unit kind of sit in there without the lid closed and just plugged it in.
I didn't have keyboard or monitor hooked up so couldn't tell what if anything was loaded. Although all 4 lights on back (ABCD) were solid green. I plugged in monitor and it showed Windows XP floating across. But didn't go anywhere. I plugged in mouse and keyboard (just to see if I might get lucky). Mouse lit up and keyboard wouldn't. I then powered it down manually (didn't know any other way without keyboard). When I restarted this time, I got ABC lights green and D light was amber. All solid. And it only has the Dell logo floating across screen. ANd still no keyboard.

So, any ideas now? Also, Iknow I'm going to have to get a different PSU, so should I wait and get it (will have to order). Or any other suggestions at this point? THANK YOU all so much.

Since the above, I unhooked the connectors onthe hard drive and now replugged in keyboard. I now have keyboard and get a screen that only comes up for a second. If I hit control/alt/del.,I can get it to come up again for split second and some of the things it says are:

fixed disk 0 ST340016A
Ultra DMA mode ATA/ 100
detected keyboard and mouse

cmos : no date time
hit del to enter set up (but doesn't work)

press F12 if you want to see a boot menu, ( but tried it and it doesn't go anywhere.)

It has some specifics about the system, (just saying that it is a pentium 4, BIOS version A05)

Edited by realapp, 29 December 2010 - 12:38 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

I know I'm going to have to get a different PSU

The Dell Dimension 4400 uses a standard ATX PSU. However, if you get one with an On/Off switch, you'll need to cut a hole in the back panel for the switch.

fixed disk 0 ST340016A

Personally, I wouldn't trust an ancient 40GB hard drive.

cmos : no date time

Need to replace the CMOS battery. It's probably a "CR2032", which you should be able to pick up at your local Grocery or Pharmacy for a couple of bucks.

hit del to enter set up (but doesn't work)

press F12 if you want to see a boot menu, ( but tried it and it doesn't go anywhere.)

Are you using a PS/2 keyboard?

It has some specifics about the system, (just saying that it is a pentium 4, BIOS version A05)

Yep, since it maxes out at 1GB of RAM there's not much you can do about it being 'old and slow'. :D Don't know that it's even worth a new CMOS battery. ;)

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
So, are you suggesting that if I replace the CMOS battery, it will boot up? I'm just checking as previous suggestion (see above) had me remove the CMOS battery (which I did). I'm not sure what the issue is with it not booting up now. That is my concern. The computer had been working fine prior to this recent PSU issue.

Edited by realapp, 29 December 2010 - 10:53 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I didn't have keyboard or monitor hooked up so couldn't tell what if anything was loaded. Although all 4 lights on back (ABCD) were solid green. I plugged in monitor and it showed Windows XP floating across. But didn't go anywhere. I plugged in mouse and keyboard (just to see if I might get lucky). Mouse lit up and keyboard wouldn't. I then powered it down manually (didn't know any other way without keyboard). When I restarted this time, I got ABC lights green and D light was amber. All solid. And it only has the Dell logo floating across screen. ANd still no keyboard.

You didn`t plug anything in while the MB was powered up did you, that is a recipe for disaster Im afraid.
To clear the CMOS the easy way, remove the power cord from the wall, ground yourself by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the silver CR2032 battery on the MB for a few moments whilst pressing the power on switch to dispel any charge that may be left in the system, replace the MBs battery, if the PSU is bad resetting the CMOS is of no benefit.

Battery image courtesy of rshaffer61

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
I shut the system down before I plugged anything in.

Regarding the CMOS, I did this initially before I swapped out the new PSU. I have a new PSU and that was the message I got. As it turns out I am going to get a different PSU as this one doesn't fit in the case with the new on/off switch. My concern is should I reset the CMOS again and do you think by doing this it will boot the computer correctly. It

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I shut the system down before I plugged anything in

Good, post #23 had me worried.

My concern is should I reset the CMOS again/ and do you think by doing this it will boot the computer correctly.

It will do no harm/ impossible to tell until you try it, if the PSU has gone and taken something with it resetting the CMOS will not fix it, resetting the CMOS will only clear bad settings.

realapp

realapp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
So,I should try resetting the CMOS again just to see what happens? And do you think anything has happened to my hard drive?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

So,I should try resetting the CMOS again just to see what happens

Yes, use the battery method I suggested and this time make sure that the VGA, HDD, CD/DVD drive, Keyboard and mouse are securely connected, that the PSU is secure and that no cables from the PSU are being stretched or pulled before you attempt to boot up.

And do you think anything has happened to my hard drive?

Hopefully not and I will elaborate further shortly**

I got ABC lights green and D light was amber. All solid. And it only has the Dell logo floating across screen

** This may be due to the HDD not being secured to the MB or the PSU correctly, if you intend doing further testing double check that all connections are secure,