Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp won't load

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
I understand. You are now running the OTLPE reatogo. It is not your windows XP and is limited from what files you can run.

Lets start analyzing your sick computer. Download scan.txt and put it on the usb stick.
Attached File  Scan.txt   440bytes   285 downloads
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Select the Windows folder of the infected drive if it asks for a location
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Double click Custom scans and fixes box, a dialogue box will appear. Choose the scan.txt saved previously on your USB drive.
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system.
  • Right click the file and select send to : select the USB drive.
  • Confirm that it has copied to the USB drive by selecting it
  • You can backup any files that you wish from this OS
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

Advertisements

marlana

marlana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
The problem is when i run the Wireless network wizard it says the SSID name contains one or more characters that are not valid but i cannot see anything wrong myself. Also when i install my router during setup in the drop-down menu boxes i cannot see the letters and words at all because the letters are too tiny and unreadable i have no idea what im choosing. How can i fix this. i also have to install a service pack because i cannot install itunes without sp2. other then that i have my two drives back and my files i just have to re-install the programs all though i was able to install my old irfanview picture viewer. When i install programs into my old c and d drives will they be able to run or will i have to install programs into the x and b drives?

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi marlana,

Since you have a bunch of problems, we'll try solving them one at a time. :D

Do you still have the Windows installation CD?

Edit: Never mind, I just saw that you didn't have the disk.

Were you able to follow my last instruction? If you are having difficulties, please tell me what part so I could guide you to each and every step. ;)

Can you post screen images of the ailing machine?

Edited by Salagubang, 14 January 2011 - 08:29 PM.

marlana

marlana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
There were different profiles to choose from i chose administrater but the scan keeps getting stuck on Users it stops responding when it goes through scanning the USERS I tryed using quick scan and it still stops at USERS\something. Is there any way i can fix this so i can do the scan completly.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi marlana,

Ok lets try this.

Step One

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC

Next

1. To start the Recovery Console, do the following:
  • Insert the CD in your computer.
  • Restart your computer so you are booting off of the CD.
  • When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R button on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
  • The Recovery Console will start and ask you which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press enter. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press enter.
  • It will then prompt you for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, simply press enter. Otherwise type in the password and then press enter.
  • If you entered the correct password you will now be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt and you can start using the Recovery Console.

2. Type following commmands, pressing Enter after each one.

fixmbr
chkdsk /r

exit
You may remove the CD or let Windows boot normally.

Step Two

Download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click on Minimal Output at the top
  • Select All Users
  • Download the following file scan.txt to your Desktop. Click here to download it. You may need to right click on it and select "Save"
  • Double click inside the Custom Scan box at the bottom
  • A window will appear saying "Click Ok to load a custom scan from a file or Cancel to cancel"
  • Click the Ok button and navigate to the file scan.txt which we just saved to your desktop
  • Select scan.txt and click Open. Writing will now appear under the Custom Scan box
  • Click the
    Quick Scan
    button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time and post them in your topic

marlana

marlana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It dident work, after i did that I couldent boot at all except from that disk. it must have deleted my boot program so now i cannot boot using my flash drive now or something happened and some files on the flash drive got deleted i will re-make it again and try it again. All i could do with that disk is like you said i used the R option only nothing else worked.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi,

Please remove the CD from CD tray then boot your windows normally (without the usb stick too). Post the error message you see on the screen.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi,

Can you post the exact model of your machine? (Look for the model number written in the computer casing)

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi marlana,

What we are going to try next is find your windows installation manually (and also see if there are recovery partitions hidden).

On the clean computer.

• Please download the file below and save it to the desktop
  • Insert the USB device to made bootable to the computer. (Make sure that no other USB's are inserted)
  • Run Unetbootin. Select Distribution, and from the drop down menu select "Super Grub Disk"
  • Select the target drive, and hit OK.
  • Click "OK" and wait until the program finishes. Your SuperGrubDisk is now ready.

On the infected computer.

Reboot your system using the bootable USB you just created.
Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from USB follow the steps here

From the menu:

• Choose Language & No Help
  • Boot & Tools
  • Boot Partition
  • You will be presented with two choices (hd0 and hd1). Choose the selection with disk size close to the size of your harddisk
  • There will be 3 to 5 partition listed
  • Choose the partition with the biggest disk size - this is your windows partition. Let me know if windows booted correctly so I could give you the next steps.
  • Take note of the other partition as well. If the above won't boot: choose the other partition to fire up the recovery partition.

If you have difficulty following the above, let me know so I can guide each step of the way. :D

marlana

marlana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thank You i will try this and let you know the results. When i boot normally It says Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. <windows>\system32\hal.dll please re-install a copy.
Also i couldent find the model number on my computer could you tell me exactly where it is. will it say MODEL number beside the number? All i could find was product key, service tag, express service code. but there were other numbers on stickers with no name or words. -ALSO mabe one reason it wouldent boot from my flashdrive is because i have the U3 Launchpad installed plus it was set to autorun i disabled the autorun but i am not sure if i should un-install it Would it make the flash drive un-usable? I cannot set my computer to boot from my flshdrive automatically in the F2 area because i have lost the password to make the changes to it and it is locked.

Edited by marlana, 25 January 2011 - 03:40 PM.

Advertisements

marlana

marlana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I tryed the f12 booting from the flash drive. It dident work. It says error loading operating system.

Edited by marlana, 25 January 2011 - 04:11 PM.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi,

We will try in CD.

Download SGD iso here.
Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
  • Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
  • Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
  • Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

• Locate SuperGrubDisk.iso file, and click Open button.
  • Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable CD:

Posted Image

• Once the CD is created, boot from it using F12, then follow the instructions in my last post.[/B]

marlana

marlana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I did what you said. The first one went to hardware diagnostics. The second one showed a black screen with a list of booting words the last word at the bottom of the list is boot below it is a blinking line, how long should i let it blink for or should i. The third said nothing to do and it has 0 KB. The partitions are. 1.) fat 47 MB Windows. 2.) HPFS/NTFS 33GB Windows. 3.) Unknown 3 GB.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Hi marlana,

The partitions are. 1.) fat 47 MB Windows. 2.) HPFS/NTFS 33GB Windows. 3.) Unknown 3 GB.

What I would like you to do is boot from partition 2 (HPFS/NTFS 33gb Windows) and then tell me if it'll let you boot into windows.

:D

marlana

marlana

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yes it let me boot but It went to the black screen that said Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. <windows>\system32\hal.dll please re-install a copy. Also mabe it might help if i give up trying to keep my files and just restore my computer somehow. i don't have a xp disk but i do have flash drives if there are any programs i can download for free and put on them to restore my computer. Also there are like two drives on my computer it is like two computers in one. I don't remember what happened to the other side but the error messege says it can't find the logon file. i think it might have gotton moved or deleted but theres no viruses on the side and it makes me restart.

Edited by marlana, 27 January 2011 - 03:47 PM.