Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install ANY programs. Says file is corrupt.

• Please log in to reply

cyn54

cyn54

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
"An I/O error occurred while installing a file. This is normally caused by bad installation media or a corrupt installation file."
I can't install any software at all. Please help!!

Advertisements

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Not enough details.

What happens if you install the same programs in Safe Mode?

To get to Safe Mode, restart your computer, and right before Windows loading screen, tap F8 several times. A list of options will appear on the screen instead of the Windows loading screen. Choose Safe Mode and try it out.

cyn54

cyn54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I tried to install in safe mode also. Still won't install no matter what program I try, it just says "File corrupt."

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Double-click My Computer, and then right-click C:.
  • Click Properties, and then click Tools.
  • Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed.
  • Select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.

You may receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?

Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Wait for it to fully complete (may take hours to finish). And then let us know if there is any improvement.

cyn54

cyn54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Nothing has changed.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
What's your Windows version? Do you have a Windows CD that matches your Windows version?

If so, then be ready to put it in for the following steps:

Click on Start button and then Run... (for Vista/7, press and hold the Windows logo key on your keyboard and then press R)

In the Run dialog box, type:

sfc /scannow

And let it do its course

cyn54

cyn54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I did that, but nothing happened. I just tried to update Microsoft Security Essentials.
Error description: Microsoft Security Essentials couldn't download the definition updates.
This may be caused by a missing system file, an incorrect system setting or a problem with
a registry file.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Alrighty, there's not much I can do to help you with my current privileges in this forum. Post a new thread about this issue in the Malware Removal section and one of the Malware Experts wil help you out (even if it's not a malware issue).

cyn54

cyn54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks so much for trying.