Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new comp build

• Please log in to reply

johncarlc

johncarlc

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have built a new pc and everything seemed fine until formatting the hdd. the pc bot and post windows started to instal up to the point where I was to partition or format the drive. I selected to format and it reached 76% and stayed there. so I left it and came back to the screen loading the mobo start screen, screen would go blank and then come to the post and then blank again and nothing happened. now when the pc is powered on all the lights,case fan,s cpu fan,gpu fan come on. ive tested the gpu and the hdd in another comp and they both work fine. I have taken everything out of the case and connected barebone and still no video

PLEASE IF ANYONE CAN HELP! MY RMA TIME IS ALMOST UP AND DONT WANT TO DEAL WITH THE MANUFACTURER

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1075T Thuban 3.0GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
MOBO: MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1430-LR GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
PSU: ION PowerReal AXP-850R14N 850W ATX 12V v2.2 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply
CASE: Rosewill ARMOR Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi johncarlc :D
Possible causes, flaky HDD or bad OS installation, did you do a full or quick format of the HDD before installing the OS? Try full formatting and partitioning the HDD again and re-install the OS, I am not familiar with the brand of PSU but reading the reviews at Newegg people have had various issues with your model so the PSU cannot be ruled out http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817190024 if you can try a known good PSU.
Try clearing the CMOS on the MB to restore the default factory settings, to do this remove the silver CR2032 MB battery for a few moments and then replace it, if you get the screen back you will need to go into the BIOS and reset the time and date save the new settings and exit.

Battery image courtesy of rshaffer61

johncarlc

johncarlc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Cleared the CMOS and still no luck getting the screen. I was doing a full format before I lost the screen, it stood at 76% for a good hour. I came back to the screen it was restarting P.O.S.T. over and over again but finally it came to nothing on the screen. Tried another HDD and still no screen

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The HDD will not stop you getting the BIOS screen, do you get the BIOS screen?

Tried another HDD and still no screen

Same here, it will not stop you getting into the BIOS but it will not load any OS that may be on it as it is not configured for the MB ie it doesn`t have the MBs drivers on it, when you tried the other HDD did you full format and partition it?

johncarlc

johncarlc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No BIOS, computer powers on but no screen

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Not good, you need to try a known good PSU now to rule that possibility out, one other thing you can try is remove the Ram and power up to see if you get any error beeps, do you have a system speaker as I cannot see an onboard one on the MB at the link, if you get beeps it may suggest the Ram is ok and the video is bad.
If you read the reviews for the MB at Newegg there were quite a few DOAs http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130275 and some whos boards died not long after they were fitted, the only other possibility is the CPU.