Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help upgrading laptop

• Please log in to reply

Threeshotsolid

Threeshotsolid

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
ok firstly, i know lots about computers but not the actual computer itself lol.

My laptop has been runing slow, and is terribly noisy.

it is an HP probook 4510s - http://h10010.www1.h...52-3934828.html

sorry i dont know much about the specs on mine but that website lists all available. if anyone can tell me how to check my specs that would be great

all i know is that i got
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T6570
and an ati radean premium graphics card.
windows 7 32bit
i think it has 3 gig ram

does anyone know if i can upgrade to 8gb ram? and if that would make a difference.

the graphics are great so i dont need to upgrade them, but upgrading what else, would make a huge difference?

i would rather spend lots of money on my laptop upgrading it than buying a new one thanks.

i have a budget of about £500 or around $800.

thankyou so much

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
According to the specs you linked to it is capable of upgrading to 8 gigs of memory.

Maximum memory

DDR2, 800 MHz, 1024, 2048 or 4096 MB
Upgradeable to 8 GB

You have a problem though since this is your OS installed:

windows 7 32bit

A 32 bit OS will only utilize up to 3.5 gigs of memory at best.
In order to use more you would have to update your OS to a 64 bit version which would mean wiping the system and install the new OS.
All data would be formatted unless you backed it up first. All programs would have to be reinstalled.
You would have to purchase a new Os which right now runs about 100USD for the OEM version.

Threeshotsolid

Threeshotsolid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
thanks for replying so quickly.

thats wonderful thanks.

if i upgrade my os and bought the 8gb ram would my laptops proformance vastly improved?
or what else would i also need to upgrade.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That depends on what you are trying too improve.
Speed wise with opening programs and the amount of programs that can be open at one time then yes.
This would improve with the added memory.
The OS upgrade would do nothing but allow you to utilize the extra memory and add more security to your system.

My laptop has been runing slow, and is terribly noisy.

This is potentially a problem as it could indicate a failing hd or fan. Can you explain this in more detail as to where the noise is coming from?
The slowness could be due to the amount of auto starting programs you may not know exist in your system.
The common user does not know these programs are running all the time and over time they will slow your system down.
Just for curiosity sake lets take a look at them and see.
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Threeshotsolid

Threeshotsolid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
in the past i think i have probably ruined my laptops fan, which may also play a big part of the noise.

most days, i would have a computer game open, photoshop, and or after effects.
this meant my laptop would be around 65% cpu. and therefore my laptop may overheat and sound like an aeroplane.

the laptop - looks realy nice and is perfect for bringing around with me whilst having all my editing software on it
such as the adobe mastercollection, sony vegas, 3dmax, blender 3d etc. which i use very often - i just want my laptop to be able to handle this and be silent.

ok i have attached the documentAttached File  AutoRuns.txt   80.23KB   116 downloads

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Now just to show you what is running in the background that you may not know about I'm posting the below which is all your autoruns. Then I will post the next step of instructions to help hopefully speeding things up.

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" "" "" ""
+ "AdobeAAMUpdater-1.0" "Adobe Updater Startup Utility" "Adobe Systems Incorporated" "c:\program files\common files\adobe\oobe\pdapp\uwa\updaterstartuputility.exe"
+ "AdobeCS5ServiceManager" "Adobe CS5 Service Manager" "Adobe Systems Incorporated" "c:\program files\common files\adobe\cs5servicemanager\cs5servicemanager.exe"
+ "HP Software Update" "hpwuSchd Application" "Hewlett-Packard" "c:\program files\hp\hp software update\hpwuschd2.exe"
+ "IAAnotif" "Event Monitor User Notification Tool" "Intel Corporation" "c:\program files\intel\intel matrix storage manager\iaanotif.exe"
+ "iTunesHelper" "iTunesHelper" "Apple Inc." "c:\program files\itunes\ituneshelper.exe"
+ "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (reboot)" "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" "Malwarebytes Corporation" "c:\program files\malwarebytes' anti-malware\mbam.exe"
+ "mcui_exe" "McAfee Security Center" "McAfee, Inc." "c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe"
+ "PDF Complete" "Sentry for PDF" "PDF Complete Inc" "c:\program files\pdf complete\pdfsty.exe"
+ "QlbCtrl.exe" "Quick Launch Buttons" " Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P." "c:\program files\hewlett-packard\hp quick launch buttons\qlbctrl.exe"
+ "QuickTime Task" "QuickTime Task" "Apple Inc." "c:\program files\quicktime\qttask.exe"
+ "SoundMAX" "SoundMAX Audio Settings (32-bit)" "Analog Devices, Inc." "c:\program files\analog devices\soundmax\soundmax.exe"
+ "SoundMAXPnP" "SMax4PNP" "Analog Devices, Inc." "c:\program files\analog devices\core\smax4pnp.exe"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched" "Java™ Update Scheduler" "Sun Microsystems, Inc." "c:\program files\common files\java\java update\jusched.exe"
+ "SwitchBoard" "SwitchBoard Server (32 bit)" "Adobe Systems Incorporated" "c:\program files\common files\adobe\switchboard\switchboard.exe"
+ "SynTPEnh" "Synaptics TouchPad Enhancements" "Synaptics Incorporated" "c:\program files\synaptics\syntp\syntpenh.exe"
"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" "" "" ""
+ "Bluetooth.lnk" "Bluetooth Tray Application" "Broadcom Corporation." "c:\program files\widcomm\bluetooth software\bttray.exe"
+ "HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk" "HP Digital Imaging Monitor" "Hewlett-Packard Co." "c:\program files\hp\digital imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe"
"C:\Users\AaronT\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" "" "" ""
+ "Creative Element Power Tools Startup.lnk" "Creative Element Power Tools Startup module" "Creative Element" "c:\program files\creative element power tools\startup.exe"
"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" "" "" ""
+ "LightScribe Control Panel" "" "Hewlett-Packard Company" "c:\program files\common files\lightscribe\lightscribecontrolpanel.exe"
+ "RegistryBooster" "" "" "File not found: C:\Program Files\Uniblue\RegistryBooster\launcher.exe"
+ "Sidebar" "Windows Desktop Gadgets" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\program files\windows sidebar\sidebar.exe"

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "AdobeAAMUpdater-1.0"
+ "AdobeCS5ServiceManager"
+ "HP Software Update"
+ "iTunesHelper"
+ "QuickTime Task"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"
+ "RegistryBooster"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

Threeshotsolid

Threeshotsolid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
ok thanks.

i have noticed mcaffee internet security/anitvuris is very heavy on my cpu.
and looking at other peoples views on it, im not the only one.

however, it is run by BT, and my dad works for BT and he wont let me delete it.
he knows a lot about computers but if i ask him, dad can i get a desktop pc or a better laptop - he says 'no you have enough' or 'thats good enough'

but he just understand that i need a better spec machine or to buy better specs for my laptop as I need it to run my software which 3d moddeling for games is where i would like to get a job in after uni.

i will try this now, and thanks a lot for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The instructions I gave will not remove any programs. All it is doing is stopping these programs from auto running in the background because they are not needed.
This will allow memory and cpu along with system resources to be freed up.
This in turn will help to speed your system up.
Over time with the addition of new software the autoruns start to grow and the system tends to slow down from it.
When we get to the point of uninstalling we will not touch the AV programs unless I can show a better and less resource hungry program out there. There are several btw which we recommend all the time. :D

Threeshotsolid

Threeshotsolid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
finished, what else is needed. and thanks for the help.

and when i upgrade to 64 bit os and buy a 8gb ram. should i also buy a biger harddrive or is it not needed

i was talking to a person there, and since my laptop is stil under a year old, the warranty would stil be valid. and maybe hp could fix the fan.

would that be true?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

i was talking to a person there, and since my laptop is stil under a year old, the warranty would stil be valid. and maybe hp could fix the fan.

would that be true?

I would defiantly call them and ask.

How is the system running now that all the steps are completed? Is it booting faster, opening programs faster or responding any faster?
As for the size of the hd lets see what you have right now.
Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Threeshotsolid

Threeshotsolid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
again thanks.

well, it is realy too early to notice many changed
but my laptop has dropped around 3-5 cpu.
firefox and thunder have seemed to load a bit quicker.

however my laptop is sometimes prone to go quick some days and slow others.

overal, i think it has sped up loading times for programs so thankyou but again its to early to notice

now the harddriveharddrive.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
300 gig hd is not bad considering you have used less then half of the drive space.
I wouldn't suggest purchasing a new hd at this time since you are not using the capacity of what you have now.
I would stick with the new memory and the new OS. Just make sure you backup all your data first.
Also understand that once you upgrade your OS you will not be able to use the recovery partition on your system again as it has the 32 bit OS on it.