Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yahoo SMTP server rejecting email from Outlook 2007

• Please log in to reply

OneDave

OneDave

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When I compose a message in OL7 and Send it, Outlook returns the following error message:

Task 'Dave Register - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC78) : 'Cannot send the message. Verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The server responded: 553 From address not verified - see http://help.yahoo.co...endfrom-07.html'

For the past few years, it has been no problem to compose and send messages from my OL7 with a sending account of my Yahoo address. So what changed?

In the few weeks surrounding when I noticed the Yahoo Mail problem, my system had a few changes:

1. I unistalled OL10 Beta and re-installed OL7

2. I changed ISPs from Comcast to Qwest DSL

Otherwise, I have the same computer setup and connections.

I am a Yahoo Plus subscriber, which allows me to define Yahoo AddressGuard email addresses. These are disposable email addresses that Yahoo forwards to my main Yahoo email account. I have not changed the AddressGuard addresses or my main Yahoo email address.

The error message only occurs when I compose an email with OL7 and select the sending address as one of my AddressGuard Yahoo addresses. If I compose and use my main Yahoo email address, there is no problem. If I use my Gmail account, no problem. If I use Yahoo's web mail interface, I can compose and send under the AddressGuard addresses as well as under my main Yahoo mail address.

I have also received the following error messag via OL7, based on changing my OL7 settings for one of the AddressGuard accounts (I forgot which one):

Task 'Dave at AAS - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC78) : 'Cannot send the message. Verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The server responded: 530 authentication required - for help go to http://help.yahoo.co...pop/pop-11.html'

Things I have tried:

Contacting Qwest-they unblocked port 25. They claimed that they do not support Outlook.

Contacting Yahoo
They have told me different things based on who I contact. 1) They do not support sending from AddressGuard addresses via OL7, 2) They do support the feature, but they require that I "register" my AddressGuard addresses in Yahoo Mail. 3) My AddressGuard addresses do not need to be registered, 4) There should be no problem composing in Outlook and sending as an AddressGuard account, and 5) I should only use Yahoo's web interface for my mail.

I tried to "register" the addresses in Yahoo Mail, but it would not let me do that. I created a new AddressGuard account with the same problems. I was able to access my main Yahoo account via FTP and that worked, so I know my computer can get through the network to their SMTP server, and that my account exists in Yahoo. However, I could not access SMTP using my AddressGuard accounts (Yahoo says that these are just aliases, not real addresses.).

Yahoo gave me a couple different sets of account settings to try. None of them changed anything.

Outlook 2007 Client:
I created a new Outlook 2007 profile and defined the addresses of interest in it without problem. When I tried to send test messages under the AddressGuard accounts, same error.

I uninstalled Outlook 2007, cleaned my registry, cleaned the cache files, and reinstalled Outlook 2007. Applied all Microsoft updates. No change in behaviors.

Turned off my ESET firewall.

I checked a friend's PC today. She is on Qwest DSL, uses Outlook 2007, has Yahoo's Mail Plus and AddressGuard addresses, uses the same OL7 settings as I do, is running Vista, and IS able to compose and send under AddressGuard addresses from OL7.

In conclusion, Qwest says it isn't their problem, Yahoo says it isn't their problem, and reinstalling the Microsoft software didn't fix it.

I use the task and calendar features of Outlook quite a bit, so I would rather not leave Outlook. I also usually send under the various AddressGuard addresses (what else are they intended for?), until this problem came up. I rarely use my main Yahoo address, so that it won't get spammed. Clearly, Yahoo wants to drive me to their web interface.

I would appreciate ideas on how to pursue this problem. I would love to get my capability back!

Thanks,
Dave

Dell Studio 540 MT, Vista Home Premium, 4GB RAM, >>Linksys WRT 610N router >> Qwest modem >> Qwest DSL line

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This behaviour may occur if you're not using your ISP's SMTP server to send email.
Many providers block you from using any other SMTP server but their own for reasons of spam.

As you've changed ISP, you may sill be using the previous provider's SMTP, which will of course now no longer work. Change this to the current provider's SMTP and see what happens.