Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer can't read hard disk drive

• Please log in to reply

Alexb89

Alexb89

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I reinstalled windows xp on my Dell dimension 2350 successfully the other day but after trying to install service pack 2 it froze on the installation screen so I restarted the computer and it wants to reinstall xp so when I say start fresh it says hard disk drive can't be found. It is the original os for the computer. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you enter your BIOS menu, can you see your hard drive (enter the Advanced tab and choose IDE Configuration Submenu) if you cannot see your hard drive displayed in that menu then there is something wrong with either your connections (cable or power) or your hard drive has failed.

Alexb89

Alexb89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
If it says IDE primary master - none would that mean it's not properly connected?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
It is either not properly connected (IDE cable or Power cable) or your IDE cable is damage (try another one if you have one) or the hard drive has died.

One other thing it might be your Primary IDE connector on your motherboard and the only way to know is to either connect an hard drive you know works or try your hard drive on another computer (as a slave) to see if it can be detected.

Edited by Alzeimer, 30 December 2010 - 04:49 PM.

Alexb89

Alexb89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok thanks for the help, I think the hard drive is shot.