Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I seriously need some re-education!

• Please log in to reply

thebeliever1984

thebeliever1984

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey Folks at Geekstogo,

I used to work in the computer department of a well-known electronics retailer a couple of years back. Thing is they taught me some things on pc's, and within the last year i have come to know that some of the information they gave me is not entirely accurate. For instance, they told me that the processor speed and the amount of memory on your pc is what determines the speed of your pc. But i know some that say the hard drive space is what determines the speed of your pc. I guess my question is, What really determines how fast a pc runs?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Too many factors to look at to determine the speed of a machine.

Processor and memory are one thing, but the chipset used can be another, as many years ago it was perfectly possible to put a decent processor on a rubbish chipset.
Hard drive can play a factor too, but usually only if it's relatively full or on the way out.
State of the operating system and the programs plays a part too.

You can easily have a system that wipes the floor on paper, but performs relatively badly..

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
All three of those affect the speed. The faster your hard drive, the quicker data is moved into RAM... if there's more RAM, more data from the hard drive can be stored on it... if your processor is quicker it will access the data in RAM.