Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor stays black during boot-up

• Please log in to reply

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Whenever I restart(boot) the computer I am using, the monitor goes into sleep mode, or says no signal until it's loaded to the login menu. It's fine after that. So, in escence, I cannot see the black screen with the white text on startup. Any help on how to fix this?
Edit: I've tried switching the monitors, and it doesn't make a difference.The computer is designed for work and I'm trying to restore it to its original settings. The computer is running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3.

Edited by Wesdog784, 30 December 2010 - 09:33 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts
Hi Wesdog784

Whenever I restart(boot) the computer I am using, the monitor goes into sleep mode, or says no signal until it's loaded to the login menu.

This may simply be the system going through the POST (power on self test) procedure and what you are seeing is the point where the video is being tested.

So, in escence, I cannot see the black screen with the white text on startup. Any help on how to fix this?

Try tapping the tab key whilst the computer is booting up, going through POST (power on self test).
Let us know if this resolves the issue, if it doesn`t we can look into it further.

The computer is designed for work and I'm trying to restore it to its original settings.

This can be done in the BIOS, you havn`t posted any computer details so I am not sure of the set up but when the computer is booting up tap either the DEL, F2 or F8 keys, once you get into the BIOS navigate through it until you find the screen which has "Restore default settings" if you also see "Optimum settings" do not be tempted to select this as it can lead to system instability and crashes, once you have changed your settings press F10 to save and exit and then Y to accept the new settings.
I hope this helps you and let us know how it goes.