Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Call Of Duty: Black Ops

• Please log in to reply

crazygamerx2

crazygamerx2

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
When I start COD Black Ops it crashes, for a few seconds at least. When I open the Task Manager I can let it sit and after a few seconds it goes from Not Responding to Running. It works fine after that.... Until a few games in it crashes again. Then it doesn't recover and I have to end it. I was thinking it was a setting on Steam, it didn't work with my operating system (Vista) very well, or it was just horrible developing on Treyarch's part. If anybody can help that would be great but if not, it really doesn't bother me because the COD franchise is losing it and the games are just getting worse. Thanks

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Try making these tweaks. Seems to solve most of these issues;

1: config file location
You'll find the config file in your Steam folder (by default "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam”) inside the “steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players” folder

2: Video Card settings
Open the config_mp.cfg up in Wordpad and scroll down until you find the line:

* seta r_multiGpu “1”

Change the “1” to “0”.

IF, and only if you only have one video card. If you have multiple video cards (SLI mode), setting it to 0 will reduce performance.

3: CPU Settings
Directly underneath it you'll find:

* seta r_multithreaded_device “0”

Change the “0” to “1”.

Again, this is if, and only if you have a multi-core CPU.

4: Network
The main value you need to mess around with is cl_maxpackets, which you should try setting to “100” to see if it makes any difference.