Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building my own computer! (1st time)

• Please log in to reply

101Kido

101Kido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello iammykyl,

I really like those cases but the computer shops in my little city don't have a large amount of stock so the only have stuff the people ask the most... What international computer shops would have those cases (Incredible connection?)

regards,

101Kido

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Keith.

Done a little searching, but you will need to search computer shopping sites from you computer.

Here is what I have found so far.

Note, you are looking for the Antec Six Hundred/SE. (SE = second edition.

.> http://www.shopmania...~p-1435498.html

> http://www.comx.co.z...eap-p-39384.php

> http://www.cyburbia....emart&Itemid=78

You will have to contact the sellers and find out if in stock, if not in stock, how long to get it, shipping costs.

Do you know the brand and model of the PSU in your computer now?

101Kido

101Kido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi iammykyl,

Today I found the latest issue of my local computer shop and they have a 50% off special on all products and the Aerocool AeroEngine PLUS is now R325 witch both of us know is a good special. So I think I will be going with the Aerocool AeroEngine PLUS and not the Antec 600SE PC Chassis but thank you anyway.

BTW. All the reviews on the Aerocool AeroEngine PLUS is wrong the front fan mounts are not broken or loose! They are talking rubbish! And the shop where I am going to buy the case has a 2 year warranty on it.

So thank you for the help. Till I need your help again,

Regards

101Kido

Posted Image

Edited by 101Kido, 04 January 2011 - 05:45 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK Keith, sounds like a great deal and I realise getting the Antec case was going to be a hassle.

So this is what you are going to do, get the Aerocool, a rear exhaust fan and a fan controller, correct?

Transfer your existing hardware to the new case, correct?

You asked about a 700w PSU, which I said you did not need. Please let me know what PSU you have at the moment.

That is the best Thank You I have ever seen!!! ;) :D

101Kido

101Kido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
hello iammykyl,

So this is what you are going to do, get the Aerocool, a rear exhaust fan and a fan controller, correct? Correct

Transfer your existing hardware to the new case, correct? Correct

Please let me know what PSU you have at the moment. I have a 450 watt PSU (Don't know what make?)

Regards,

101Kido

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Keith.

Does the computer itself have a brand name and model number?

If not.

Turn the PC off.
Unplug from the wall socket.
Take the left side panel off.
BEFORE touching parts inside the case, take anti static measures by touching the steel side of the chassis.

The make and model will be written on the PSU.

Depending on the specs, you may not have to upgrade it.

101Kido

101Kido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello iammykyl,

I asked my hmm (person I brought my computer from)he says it is a Mercury 450 Watt PSU.

Regards,

101Kido

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Keith.

Your PSU is manufactured by jou jey electronics and you can find there UL No on this page, > http://www.tomshardw...oem,2729-7.html

I think your PSU will be OK to transfer into your new case.

Do you understand about static electricity and electronic components?

101Kido

101Kido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello iammykyl,

Do you understand about static electricity and electronic components? No not really just a little bit...Why?

regards,

101Kido

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Keith.

Do you understand about static electricity and electronic components? No not really just a little bit...Why?

Static electricity can discharge from you to parts of your computer and destroy it so you must take steps to prevent this.

Static electricity is that spark that you get when you drag your socks along a carpet and then touch a metallic object. The amount of damage that shock can cause to every single component on a PC can often be terminal. Surprisingly enough, you don't even need to feel that spark to have damaged an electronic component, as the amount of current required can be so small as to be virtually imperceptible.

That is why, no one at no time should ever open up a computer case until they have secured themselves to a static electricity grounding solution. One of the best and cheapest is that little wrist strap.

Here is a little reading for you. Ignore the bit in this article about checking you AC mains. >
http://www.pcworld.c...to_your_pc.html

Handling components, > http://www.pcguide.c...entHandling.htm

Always unplug from the wall socket, Take anti static measures and NEVER poke inside the PSU EVEN when it is unplugged. The PSU can hold enough voltage inside for a couple of days, (a bit like a large battery) and the high amps can burn you or could even be fatal.

Please post back that you do understand.

Advertisements

101Kido

101Kido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi iammykyl,

I understand that the charge in you body is enough to screw some electric components but what I have been told on YouTube (3DGAMEMAN) when you touch your PC case every 1 - 2 min the charge wont do damage is that correct?

Regards,

101Kido

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Keith.

Providing you are touching the bare metal part of the case that does work quite well but not as good as having a anti static wrist strap.

Some suggestions.

When you start work, inspect and if need be, clean and blow off any dust and rubbish from computer parts. A can of compressed air is best. Stop fans from spinning around when using the compressed air.

A magnetic tipped screwdriver is very useful.

101Kido

101Kido

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi iammykyl,

What I do is use my mom's hairdryer and put it on cold to blow out my case and all the components that are dusty. Is that fine?

Regards,

101Kido

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Keith.

Is it safe?

I have researched this a couple of time on the Net. Lots of people do ti. Some advice is that it can generate static.

I have not seen a post or know of anybody who has destroyed a PC.

So all I can say is, it would be at your own risk.

Regards.