Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why has my NET slowed down so muchh?

• Please log in to reply

12rounds

12rounds

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hey,

Basically, i have 20mbps connection and this last week my net has just gone downhill. I havn't capped my usage and i got no viruses. It's wierd because i can stream videos with no lag and youtube vids load just as fast as before. Probably just b4 this problem i was using IE8 but it was lagging too much so i changed back to firefox. It was cool at the start but now its just a total piece of crap. I mean i got no add ons or themes. The only add-ons i have : Is the realplayer pluggin , vshare and about 15 plugins that are normal. (Maybe not).

The strange thing is when i open network connections up theres two icons theres the local area connection that's obviously connected and it says its speed 100.0mbps. Then there's one under Internet Gateway just called Internet Connection and it says 4.2mbps???? And the duration says 27 days ago..i have no clue what this is but im pretty sure my net speed is acting like 4.2mbps. But the strange thing is torrent files that go 1mb/s and up...its wierd. Last few days i was searching up "firefox webpages loading slow" cuz its one of those traits i saw. But this time its suspicious...

Please help guys... hap new year aswell...

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi 12rounds,

Sorry for the delay.

Let's see if Internet Gateway is the problem. Having both these connections may result in very high latency issues. There is a very simple way to remove Microsoft's internet gateway connection.

Instructions

• Go into My Computer and click on the control panel.
  • Click Add or Remove programs. On the left hand side, click Add/Remove Windows Components. It may take a few seconds for it to load.
  • Scroll down until you find "Networking Services" and highlight it and press the Details button.
  • Uncheck Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client.
  • Reboot your computer and your internet should be running off your router as it should, and internet gateway should be gone.
  • If it's not gone, reboot your computer as well as your modem and router (just unplugging both from the outlet).

Let us know if that helps any. I'm sure someone here will have the answer if I don't.

Donna :D

12rounds

12rounds

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hey, thx 4 replying nice name btw (Donna's sicc lol)

I tried what u did but didnt work but i didnt do the router and modem things basically cuz its in my bros room and i dont lik the dude so..I doubt that would help. What i wrote b4 but is wrong, everthing turns slow..torrents, streaming, browsing everything so its not the browser has to be the connection. Another thing that might help, when i wake in the mornin like 12 in the arvo, its booming like thats when its normal... but then like i stream videos online and after a while my whole net slows down...and no its not from the streaming because i got way bigger bandwidth than that so even when i close its still crappy...till the day ends..then next morning its workin great...like i just dont get it...why i mentiond the video thing is is could be the cache or anything like..i deleted all the temp files and windows temp files and still the same...i really dunno what to do..coulddd please helpp

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hm, sounds like it might be a peak of the day event. From what I gather here, it runs great when you are connected when no one else is. Do you share bandwidth with others such as your brother? How is your connection set up?

Think of it this way: If you turn the water faucet on in the kitchen, then turn the water faucet on in the bathroom, the pressure will be half of what it would be if you only had 1 faucet turned on in the household.

How long has this been going on? If you use torrents I'd check for malware also. Though if you were infected due to these torrents it would be more consistent.