Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD with tcpip.sys :(

• Please log in to reply

henrock

henrock

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys!
I'm hoping that someone here will be willing to help me in this matter. I'm getting seemingly random BSODS, more often when using torrent downloaders tho, but it has occurred at other times as well. I am attaching the latest minidump here and crossing my fingers that you guys can help me.

Cheers!

Attached Files

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Firstly - you should keep away from Torrents - they are a prime way of acquring an infection.
Additionally whilst NOT all, many are of course a way of downloading illegal (pirated) material.
If this is what you are using the Torrent for, this site will not provide further help.
GeekstoGo - does not provide any support for problems arising from items of this nature.
That all said and at this stage - providing some advice - BUT anything further will require examination of what you are using torrent downloaders for.

This is the analysis of your Mini dump
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini010211-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: avgtdix.sys (avgtdix+0x3390)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFB4B1970C, 0xFFFFFFFFB7019AFC, 0xFFFFFFFFB70197F8)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: avgtdix.sys .
THERE IS NOT AN UPDATE FOR THIS - you may try uninstalling your AVG and reinstalling the latest version.

That file - avgtdix.sys is aprt of the AVG anti-virus and network protection
Name: AVG Free8 Network Redirector
Filename: avgtdix.sys
Command: c:\windows\system32\drivers\avgtdix.sys
Description: Related to AVG Anti-virus.
File Location: c:\windows\system32\drivers\avgtdix.sys
Startup Type: This startup entry is installed as a Windows service.
Service Name: AvgTdiX
Service Display Name: AVG Free8 Network Redirector

Edited by Macboatmaster, 02 January 2011 - 08:36 PM.

xnay

xnay

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi there!
I am new here :D and I am not sure if its ok to make a new thread for similar problem. So my BSOD is frequently doing serious work after i have installed "uniblue speed up pc"... Help?

Attached Files

• Attached File  BSOD.txt   6.89KB   125 downloads

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
xnay
Please start a new thread.
This will ensure that your query, if this one is reponded to, does not get lost in this thread.
However, although you SHOULD start a new thread, I can tell you that Uniblue speedup PC or any other speed up, registry cleaner, make my computer go faster program is the last thing you want on your computer.

See this for the explanation as to WHY

Please accept my advice, in case you are not certain it is correct -
HOWEVER to try and convince you and for the benefit of anyone who may be reading this thread and thinking of using a registry cleaner -
There is generally speaking no such thing as a TRUSTED registry fix.
See this:
http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

and this
After running 'PC registry Cleaner' on my laptop with Win7professional I now cannot access windows explorer [returns a no association message] and some programs will not install.

And there is the proof in the pudding that Registry Cleaners do more damage than they solve.

OR THIS - on a brand new computer
Registry Errors in brand new PC
Scanning Report
Total scan items: 296239
Total errors found: 132
High risk error count: 12
Count of errors recommended to ignore: 0
5 Add/Remove Programs
0 Browser Helper Objects & Configuration Files
10 Custom Controls
43 Deep Registry Scan
0 Device Drivers
20 File Extensions
0 Help and Resource, & History Lists
6 Invalid ActiveX
42 Invalild Files Path

and here is the reply from a GeekstoGo member - GerryF
"You can install a brand new, pure OEM copy of Windows straight from Microsoft and it will likely find 120 "errors"
What I am saying is they are not really errors, they are conditions a programmer has decided are errors"

and I(Macboatmaster) would add that the errors found by these programs are far too frequently not errors, but the deletion of the registry key by the program, causes REAL errors, insofar as the deleted key corrupts the registry due to the inter-association of multiple keys amongst the hundreds of entries in the registry.

Registry Structure: The Tree, Nodes and Keys
The data is stored in the registry in a tree structure format, for those who have never opened the Registry Editor, you'd find its layout is similar to what you would see when you open your Windows Explorer. Each node within the registry tree contains a key which may have both subkeys and data entries (called values). Depending on the application you run, the application may need only the associated key while others may need the value data set for that specific key. A hive in the registry is a group of keys, subkeys, and values in the registry that has a set of supporting files containing backups of its data. The Windows boot process automatically retrieves data from these supporting files.

AND my attempt to explain it in simple terms - therein lies the problem with the so-called registry cleaner/optimizer programs. the program decides what is not needed and can be deleted. However, frequently the inter-dependance of the various branches of the tree are not recognised by the program AND this is where it goes horribly wrong. - Macboatmaster

That all said, it is YOUR computer - the decision is yours.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 January 2011 - 03:14 PM.

xnay

xnay

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thank you for such in-depth reply. I assumed it would be something with that c*rap. So i think the most reasonable thing to do would it be to reinstall OS (and not to use those "programs"):/

I owe you one!
Cheers

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Xnay has started a new thread on this HERE
http://www.geekstogo...-bsod-tcpipsys/

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 January 2011 - 03:06 PM.

henrock

henrock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok so I have tried reinstalling AVG 2011 but it still BSODS so I tried to uninstall AVG 2011 and install Microsoft Essentials instead but to no avail.

I'm attaching my latest minidump here and again crossing all my fingers that you can help me. :D

Attached Files