Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless internet connection failure

• Please log in to reply

ChloeHart

ChloeHart

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My Dell laptop, running Vista SP2, has recently developed a problem with the wireless internet/network. Upon boot up it will connect to the internet and after a few minutes it will lose connection with the internet and when I try to find the router again it will not show up on the list of available routers/networks. It will find surrounding houses networks but ours, although it found it only a few minutes previously after boot up.

I have used other devices including laptops and mobile phones and they do not suffer from this problem with a constant connection to the router. I have performed numerous anti virus scans with ZoneAlarm & BitDefender as well scans using Malware bytes & Spyware - Search & Destroy. The results from these scans have found a few tracking cookies but nothing which has affected the aforementioned problem with a constant connection to the router.

I have also downloaded the most recent drivers for the WLAN card in the laptop and this has not been of any help either. I have been advised by a friend to change the MAC addresses (?) which I don't know fully how to do. I have also tried to change the channel of the router without any luck.

Device Manager shows the card to be fully working and up to date and the only way I can reconnect to the router is by re-booting the laptop. This is clearly a bit of a pain and makes any work I do on the laptop a very slow and tedious process!

Has anyone got any ideas on what it could be how to fix it?

Many thanks!

Edited by ChloeHart, 02 January 2011 - 11:05 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Changing the MAC address will make absolutely no difference whatsoever. You might as well wash a dirty car with an equally dirty sponge, for an appropriate illusion of how effective it would be.

This is more likely an issue with the wireless adapter inside the laptop, but you can get USB ones for next to nothing which should solve the problem.