Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bridge a wireless network?

• Please log in to reply

Zook

Zook

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
I am looking to find out if I can bridge a wireless network with a second router, specifically a Linksys WRT54G. I already have a stable network set up in my home but the range is very poor, even though the router is situated in the center of the house. Where I like to work is not far from it all but still has slow speeds and often I have to reload a page for it to be displayed. With this I was wondering if I would be able to set up the second router half way and have it bridge the connection, if that's possible.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most routers these days can be used as switches and/or wireless access points.

All you'd do is set the internet on one router, then run a network cable from that router to the second one which is configured to get an IP address from the first router, effectively turning it into a switch.
You then connect to the second router wired or wireless which sends it through to the first router.

If this is possible it'll be discussed in the manual.