Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB won't run flash drive

• Please log in to reply

PSU31

PSU31

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am currently unable to access flash drives with any of my USB ports. All of the flash drives tested work properly on other computers. The drive will power on and the taskbar shows a new device has been inserted. I can access the flash drive in the disk management of the control panel. However, even when I assign a new drive letter, the drive will not show up in My Computer.

All USB ports will run peripherals such as external hard drives, printers, etc.

I have updated all drivers and system software.

Any help or advice on a course of action would be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi PSU31 :D
Can you please elaborate on your OP as it is a bit vague.

I am currently unable to access flash drives with any of my USB ports

I am unsure whether this means that you put a flash drive with data on it into a USB port but the port cannot read the data.

All of the flash drives tested work properly on other computers.

As above, you can put a brand new flash drive with no data on it into a USB port, it will light up but it does not mean it is working.

All USB ports will run peripherals such as external hard drives, printers, etc.

Suggesting that the USB ports are fine.

I have updated all drivers and system software.

Good, but again we are still none the wiser whether there is an issue with data being read from thumb drives via the system USB ports.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Hopefully I'm not stepping on phillpower2's toes, but I found this while searching around. It's a huge list of troubleshooting steps related to your problem. Very expansive writeup. I think if you go through all this and it doesn't work, you might have to give up. :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No worries Spyderturbo007 the more the merrier, great link BTW it is now archived :D