Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP keeps restarting at startup

• Please log in to reply

hammerbaby

hammerbaby

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This morning my AVG popped up with a message saying that it had detected a threat that needed to be quarantined. I clicked quarantine, then it prompted me to restart. During the restart, everything proceeded normally until it reached the desktop which flashed and started a restart again. It keeps doing this and does not proceed through any Safe Mode startups. Please help!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It just keeps rebooting right?
Sounds like your userinit file has become corrupted.

Hello user,

We will have to create a small 'fix CD' to solve this problem.
Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe (You might have to confirm admin rights if you're running this on Vista or above.)
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to add extra files. Please add:
    [code-x]C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe[/code-x]
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC, Please do so.
    Note; Click on the Burn button before inserting a disk.

Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.

D:
cd ExtraFiles
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
exit

After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.

hammerbaby

hammerbaby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The computer this is happening on is an HP Netbook and does not have a disc drive. What else could I do? Thanks again!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok that is going to create a problem.
That leaves us very few options unless you can get access to a external cdrom drive to use for awhile.

hammerbaby

hammerbaby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No I don't have access to a disk drive.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can try the below but be warned if there is no Repair Option then do not proceed as you may format the system and lose everything.

Press the power button to start the HP. Press and hold the F11 key to launch the HP Recovery Manager from the recovery partition.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
mom2asas please refer your responses to your topic that I am helping in.

hammerbaby

hammerbaby

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry for the lack of responses! I've been at work. So I tried F11 and it did not open any menus or any response at all. Any other suggestions? If worst comes to worst I could go buy I disk drive, but I would like to save money.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you can borrow one that would save you the money but I guess having one is almost needed anymore.