Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing an OS into Virtualbox

• Please log in to reply

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi!

I have installed Virtualbox into my Vista computer. I was given a copy of W2K to install into the VM that I had downloaded to my desktop and then dragged and dropped these 7 files into a folder titled W2K. They are presently in the form of .rar files. I also installed Winzip to unzip these files so I can install them into my VM.

Could someone please guide me in how to unzip these files and install them into the VM. I would truly appreciate the help.

Thank you,

Donna :D

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
What is inside the folders? An ISO image?

You should just be able to drag and select all the folders, then right-click and extract them all at once. Edit: The extraction process should be the same as a single folder...Just right-click and click extract here or however you want to do it.

Assuming it is an ISO:

The steps listed HERE should be basically the same thing. Just switch out Linux with Windows.

Edited by Cold Titanium, 03 January 2011 - 10:55 PM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Cold Titanium!

Thanks for coming to my rescue!

They are ISO files that I downloaded from uploading.com.

See....now how do I get these into my VM as an OS that works? ;)

Posted Image

I have to "unzip" those files...right?

:D

Edited by DonnaB, 03 January 2011 - 11:40 PM.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Yeah, just drag and select them all and then right-click and "unzip" them all in to the same directory. They should all come together to form a single ISO.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Ok, I had to create a folder inside that folder and drag and drop all 7 files into the new folder and when I unzipped they all ended up in the same folder but they still say .rar as the extension.

Did I do that wrong?

See below for visuals:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Okay here's the deal.

The person who sent this to you used a program to split the ISO up into multiple "parts". That makes it easier to upload and manage. All you have to do is put all the parts back together.

HERE is what I'm trying to say.

• From an open folder window, select (highlight) the Zip files you want to Extract
  • Right mouse click on one of the highlighted files
  • Choose WinZip > Extract to ... or Extract to here

I'm a fan of 7zip and I hear that PeaZip is also good.

Edited by Cold Titanium, 04 January 2011 - 04:02 PM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

The person who sent this to you used a program to split the ISO up into multiple "parts".

Yep! That's exactly what was done!

I'll check out your links.

Thank's chilly dude!

;) :D

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Cold Titanium,

Just to let you know I gave up on WinZip. I kept getting some stupid screen asking me to choose version (free/paid for) and I couldn't get it to copy all the files at once without bringing up 7 of those screens. For some reason I couldn't choose where to extract all 7 files to once highlighted so I uninstalled it and installed PeaZip.

Heavy mandatory Overtime at work so I may not get it accomplished till the weekend. I'll keep you informed. Thanks for your help!

Donna :D

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
okeydokey. I'll be working on that recording while waiting :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Winrar should do it.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
;) he, he ...I got it! :D I am tickled PINK

I now have a W2K installed into my Vista. I did end up using PeaZip and just couldn't figure out how to get the OS into the VM. I found a video on YouTube that showed me how. All I had to do was click on Devices in the menu bar of the VM and choose..... um...forgot what I had to choose. ;)

Anyway, doesn't matter. I GOT IT!!!! Oh yeah! :(

Now I need to read the manual on how to be able to minimize the VM to access Vista so I can switch back and forth between the two so I don't have to tie up a second computer.

Cold Titanium, rshaffer,

Thank you guys for coming to my rescue.

You guys are the bees knees! hehe!

okeydokey. I'll be working on that recording while waiting ;)

Take your time and don't let that get in the way of your studies! Studies are much more important. argh! I sound like my mother

:)

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

Now I need to read the manual on how to be able to minimize the VM to access Vista so I can switch back and forth between the two so I don't have to tie up a second computer.

Should just be something like ALT+CTRL to switch back and forth...

argh! I sound like my mother

Yeah, I hear that is what happens when you start getting older. You get more prunish... :D ;)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Should just be something like ALT+CTRL to switch back and forth..

The right control key worked.

:D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
;)

Take your time and don't let that get in the way of your studies! Studies are much more important. argh! I sound like my mother

;)
Remember when we all said we would never be that way? DOH!!!!!!!!!! :D

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Remember when we all said we would never be that way? DOH!!!!!!!!!! :D

Boy do I remember!

@rshaffer: Is W2K similar to your 98? This W2K has IE5 on it. Can I upgrade it to at least IE6? I'm trying to access GTG to get to my reg. exercise to access a link and install a certain program. But I can't get the screen resolution correct. Looks like it's in safe mode. I've tried to right click on the desktop > choose properties and fix the issue to no avail. Any ideas?