Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Crashes

• Please log in to reply

Mr_Midnight

Mr_Midnight

• Pip
  • 4 posts
First off, sorry if this is in the wrong spot since I don't know exactly what's wrong. I have a hunch it may be my video card so I posted it here.

Recently while playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 my computer image will freeze up, but audio will continue. Then, the screen will turn into purple static, then yellowish green static, and then blackscreen.

I then have to press and hold the power button to turn it off and restart it. So far, it has only happened in Battlefield Bad Company 2.

Edit: Scratch that, my screen also flashed black while opening multiple videos on youtube, but then recovered and I was able to continue without shutting my pc down.

Could it be my graphics card is getting too hot? Or the Processor? I don't really know... Thanks for any and all help! Posting my computer specs below.

Computer Specs:

COOLER MASTER Elite 330 Case
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series 60GB SSD
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW
SAPPHIRE Toxic 100282-2GTXSR Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 2GB
KINGWIN Lazer LZ-1000 1000W Modular 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC W/ 3-Way LED Switch and Universal Modular Connector Power Supply
2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Internal Hard Drive. Not sure exactly which model it is. Got it from my grandparents as a gift.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Scythe S-Flex SFF21G 120mm. As an exhaust pushing air out the back.
Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm. As a front fan pulling air in.

Edited by Mr_Midnight, 04 January 2011 - 12:38 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Mr_Midnight
Download and run Furmark to stress test your card and see how it goes http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/ if the problem occurs download and run Speedfan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php provide a screen shot with your next post so that your temps and voltages can be checked.
I would agree that the GFX card may be the culprit and running these tests may provide us with some insight.