Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 BSoD

• Please log in to reply

NotoriousBOV

NotoriousBOV

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Since about the 24th of December, I've been having semi-random BSoD's all from tcpip.sys. On the 25, I reinstalled the operating system due to unrelated concerns over malware, as well as reformatting all 3 of my hard drives. The problem has persisted, and is tied to anything that intensively uses my ethernet connection(skype, etc). Drivers report being the most up to date version. Attached is a zip file of all the crash logs I have.

Can anyone help? This seems to be a common problem lately.

Attached Files

Edited by NotoriousBOV, 07 January 2011 - 12:36 PM.

Advertisements

NotoriousBOV

NotoriousBOV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It's been roughly three days now, if everyone is busy, could I at least be told what to use to track down the error? Or to go to a more responsive forum?

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Have you run Memtest?

http://www.memtest.org/

Instructions for Memtest-

http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/

NotoriousBOV

NotoriousBOV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Not yet in the way described there.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

NotoriousBOV

NotoriousBOV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
"36 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 15 are included in this report. 2 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, ATI Technologies Inc.)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems."

Been Google-ing around for fixes of this, one suggested that uninstalling CCC would help, as that driver is CCC only, it didn't appear to work but I am not sure if it uninstalled correctly. I'm also about to roll back video drivers to the version before late December, when this issue came up.

Chipset, LAN, and BIOS have all been fully updated and didnt help.

I'll do my ram test later tonight, and the hard drive check around now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I appreciate the detective work you are doing but please do not take steps on your own as they may nullify anything I suggest.
Yes the advise given to uninstall CCC and all drivers is correct but there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. We will cross that bridge once the memtest is done and we verify it is not a hardware issue first.

NotoriousBOV

NotoriousBOV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
My apologies.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem :D

NotoriousBOV

NotoriousBOV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
All hard drives pass their tests of SMART values and extended checks, and all four stick of RAM pass, with between 2-5 tests. I will re run them if necessary, but had to get my computer back together for classes starting in.... 6 hours.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Tutorial for running chkdsk in Win 7 located HERE.

NotoriousBOV

NotoriousBOV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
All hard drives pass chkdsk.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So it's not a memory or hd issue that we can see so lets move on tot he OS and the drivers themselves.

Go HERE and read the tutorial that shows how to do SFC or System File Checker and running in a Elevated Command Prompt in Vista and Win7.

NotoriousBOV

NotoriousBOV

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

EDIT: also, removing the ATI drivers just says "atikmdag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)" This crash showed up playing League of Legends, which has not been an issue before. not sure if any of this is relevant or not.

Edited by NotoriousBOV, 10 January 2011 - 12:45 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah it looks like the ATI driver you have is part of the issue. Please do the following for me if you can.

Go to Start and then to Run and Type in dxdiag and then click Enter
At the bottom of the System page click on Save All Information
Save As a Text file and save to Desktop.Include this file with your next reply.
On the DirectX Files tab, check at the bottom of the window for any problem notes.
On the Display Tab click the
Test DirectDraw button and wait for the results.
Then click the Test Direct3D button and wait for the results.

In your next reply include results of each of the above steps.