Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Planning a new computer build.

• Please log in to reply

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
It's been well over 3 years since I last did anything in terms of research of parts. Realizing that my computer is now rather slow, and with the imminent release of Crysis 3, I thought that it'd be a great time to start a new computer build!

What I have currently is a old dell dimension 9100. I have a few upgrade parts in it such as the 2gb DDR2 mushkin RAM sticks and my trusty old 8800GT that I overclocked with a zalman fan. Surprisingly... I can still run Crysis original on high with effects and physics turned way down... Stupid P4 processor.

I was thinking of adding some new parts instead of building a new thing but then I realized that the orientation of the Motherboard is completely wrong on the system. Its on the complete wrong side of the case!

What I had in mind was:

Antec 300 case

Thermaltake PSU ???W. Not sure what wattage to get with all the new processors and video cards. Partial to the brand since all the PSU's on every system I've built were Thermaltakes and they perform very well. Recommendation?

as for processor, I don't really know what to get. i5 or i7? I plan on gaming.

I don't know where to start on motherboards either.

As for Video cards, I know I wanna get nVidia.

Everything else I have missed, please help!

forgot to mention my price range is around $600

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 05 January 2011 - 07:57 PM.

Advertisements