Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help required with malfunctioning Sony Vaio please

• Please log in to reply

Wobbles1

Wobbles1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I run a rugby website (www.frenchrugbyclub.com) on Frontpage from my Sony Vaio here in France but two weeks ago it crashed while I was working and the local repair shop don't seem to know what's wrong. Basically I was working in Frontpage when the programme suddenly stopped and the computer went into a loop of flashing "SONY" and then a black page with a flashing cursor in the top left corner. Have tried to get into safe mode and reboot etc but it just returns to the same problem. Took the battery out but no change either. Sometimes when I start it up it comes up with error 0208 (I think). Additionally the disk drive doesn not work and I don't have the reboot disk anyway as my father-in-law got it "cleaned" in Thailand. A friend recommended this site and said to ask about a re-boot download available that I could put onto a floppy disk. I'm afraid I am not technically proficient in these matters and would appreciate all the help I can get as my website is frozen and probably losing users by the hour.
Yours,
Frustrated...

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
You can indeed download a file to make a bootable floppy disk (a Windows Startup Disk) for Windows XP, but that just boots the PC into DOS mode so you can type commands to run DOS utilities. It won't get Windows started if, as I suspect in your case, the hard drive has failed. You can test for hard drive failure by making a bootable CD containing "Seagate SeaTools for DOS" from here:
http://www.seagate.c...loads/seatools/

Wobbles1

Wobbles1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks very much for that, I will see if that works. Regarding failure of hard drive, are there any solutions other than a new computer?