Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Simple Hot Keys using XP

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
I would like to define a hot key (say Alt+M) which when pressed would fill in my email address. I know how to do that by creating a WORD macro ...but then I would have to open WORD before I could use it. Is it possible to create such a hot key that would not require me to first open WORD?

I used to use a program, MacroScheduler, that worked fine but my subscription to it ran out and a new subscription (to a far more powerful and sophisticated version than I need) is now fairly costly. With all these low cost (and free) Apps out there, is there one that does what I want? (Or am I missing a simple XP command/macro the already can do this?) Thanks.

Advertisements

Mr Gray

Mr Gray

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
There is a program called AutoHotKey and you should be able to configure it to your needs. It's a free program and works for Windows.

www.autohotkey.com

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
Mr. Gray: Exactly what I am looking for. Thanks so much. ...wdc

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
Mr. Gray and others:

I am having trouble with using the hotkey feature of autohotkey (as downloaded from www.autohotkey.com) and would appreciate some hand-holding.

I want to have hotkey Ctrl-Alt-Q type out the string “12345654321”.

I thought I could do that by deleting the action part of a sample script and substituting

^!Q# send 12345654321

for the deleted portion; and then saving the revised script with the name "library number.txt".

But that apparently does not work

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks ... wdc