Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brightmail mystery

• Please log in to reply

exbrooklyn

exbrooklyn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I installed my company's VPN client on my computer at home on May 18. My sister, who lives in PA, works for a company that uses the same VPN client, which she has installed on her machine at home. The day I installed it on mine we were emailing each other back and forth from our home PCs when she started to receive these bizarre emails from me that I did NOT send! The subject line is always the same as the last email I DID send her but this is all they say in the body of the message:

This message has been processed by Brightmail® AntiVirus using
Symantec's AntiVirus Technology.

Unknown00000000.data was not scanned for viruses because too many nested levels of files were found.

For more information on antivirus tips and technology, visit
http://www.brightmail.com/antivirus .

Now, that link takes you to a page that really isn't there but I removed the last of the URL and see that Symantec bought this Brightmail company in June of last year. But since my sister's company does not use Symantec products and neither of us have any Symantec products on our home PCs (I just installed a new hard drive in her machine last weekend but just to be safe had her check her registry files last night to be sure - NOTHING Symantec on either of our machines) I started to think last night that perhaps this has something to do with the fact that my employer DOES use Symantec products and the fact that we are both using the same VPN client is causing these bizarre emails. We both use AVG for anti-virus protection. I never get these emails from her, they only go to her from my account. We were emailing back and forth a lot again yesterday and she got this same email twice in a half hour. They only seem to occur when we have reached a certain level of replies. I also just found out from her that she has been receiving the same messages from other people as well.

Anyone have a clue what this is????

Edited by exbrooklyn, 27 May 2005 - 07:37 AM.

Advertisements