Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP restarts repeatedly but unsuccessfully

• Please log in to reply

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Gateway Windows XP. Operating fine until following message on black screen appears:

"Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software download may have caused this.

If the computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect files or folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration.

If a previous start attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because power reset button was pressed, or if you're not sure what caused the problem, choose restart normal.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Configuration

System will restart in ___ seconds."

I have tried all options offered. I have tried force shutdown and then reboot. Each time (except the safe mode options), it appears as though Windows is restarting, Windows logo appears, then within a few seconds "power savor" sign, then dark, then brings me back to the above message. When I tried all safe mode options, it presents a "list", then goes into the repeated startup.

My wife downloaded a software off the internet, but I think that was working ok and then the above started. Not sure about this part of the history.

Suggestions, please.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I can only suggest you restore the system using the Gateway Recovery CD which should have been supplied when the PC was purchased.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi JCastaldi,
Do you have an XP or Recovery disk that was supplied with the computer? You may be able to do a "Repair Installation" if you do not have either of these can you loan a version of the same XP that is on your system or greater (XP Pro will work with XP Home but not the other way around) you will also need your 25 digit product key.
Post back and let us know what the options are and how you wish to proceed.

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
This Gateway is at least 5 or 6 years old. I was able to find a CD "Operating System Windows XP-Home Edition." I booted from this CD, and was informed that I can either install Windows XP or use the "Recovery Console" to repair an installation. Said to hit "R" if I wanted the Recovery Console, which I did.

This took me to a new screen which stated Recovery Console on top line. Then on second line, it stated that if I wanted to exit the Recovery Console, to type "exit" at the third line which provided c/: (I think). There were no instructions in regard to continuing a repair and nothing was happening unless I typed "exit" which is not what I was trying to accomplish. Once typing "exit" it took me back the old screen options that I described in the original post.

Needless to say, I want to do what I can to save the programs and data on this computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.

· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
After posting my reply, I tried again. This time I got further. It asked which Windows installation would you like to log into? "1" is only option, which I entered. Then, it asks for Administrator Password, which I never had, so I hit "enter" and got C:\WINDOWS>

Have no clue where to go from there. Experimenting, I found that by typing "help" I can get a list of commands, but not sure which to pick. I did try CHDSK and the report came back with a general indication that there were disk errors, but not specific.

I typed "FIXBOOT" and it asked if I really wanted to add another partition. Didn't know what that was about. Typed FIXMBR, but also did not know what to do since the explanation was to the effect that I could cause more damage if I continued.

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
My apologies. I did not see your post. I will follow those instructions and let you know the results.

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Your instructions worked. Thank you very much.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Everything working OK now? :D

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Yes. Thanks, again. Much less painful than it would have been without your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. ;) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed the two Phills to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :D ;)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Congratulations. ;) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed the two Phills to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :D ;)

Just to echo the above and thanks to rshaffer61 ;)

bkg sports

bkg sports

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I think I have the same problem. I have a Averatec laptop. It won't start up. Just keeps on saying
windows did not successfully. I've tried the safe mode thing, but that didn't do anything.

Any suggestions?

Bkg sports

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: bkg sports

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.

bkg sports

bkg sports

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, sorry I didn't realize