Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build plan, Please rate and suggest.

• Please log in to reply

McGrail

McGrail

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So I am attempting my first Gaming Computer build from scratch. To make it budget friendly(as cheap as possible and under $700) I have used newegg for some deals and combos. Below is the URL to my current list of items that I plan to purchase. I do not have an optical drive listed as I am salvaging it. If you guys would please comment and/or suggest any alternatives (providing a link if you do), I would greatly appreciate it, especially regarding a decent CPU cooler for a reasonable price as I have yet to select one. Also the processor I have chosen will be unlocked to either a 3 or 4 core. I have chosen the 6850 over the 6870 to save $30 bucks since I can OC it very close to the 6870 anyway. O, and the RAM was given to me by a friend for Xmas. Thanks...

Build List

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You cannot guarantee to unlocked a dual-core processor to make it a triple or quad-core. For a start the locked cores may be unstable and secondly even if you do unlock them there's no guarantee they'll work at all.

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

You cannot guarantee to unlocked a dual-core processor to make it a triple or quad-core. For a start the locked cores may be unstable and secondly even if you do unlock them there's no guarantee they'll work at all.

This is true - from what I've seen, however, it's about a 70/30 success/fail rate, respectively.

McGrail

McGrail

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I agreed in most cases but my chances of unlocking aren't too bad and stability issues will most likely not be an issue in my situation. BUT, I am considering an AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE, and buying an after-market cpu cooler of course...

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
I would suggest doing that.

McGrail

McGrail

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Can anyone suggest a CPU cooler? I am thinking about the Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
A review and test for the Hyper 212 with comparison tables. Also Heaps of other coolers tested. >
http://www.hardwares...er-Review/956/2

Noctua coolers are my first choice. > http://www.noctua.at...produkte&lng=en

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
The Hyper 212+ is quite good; I would also consider a Corsair A70.