Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP won't start up (boot up) or enter safe mode

• Please log in to reply

anonanon2

anonanon2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am running Windows XP Professional (SP3). It shut itself off and Windows won't restart; it goes to the logo/splash screen and hangs there.

I get a choice of several options, all of which don't work:

- Last known good configuration and Start windows normally; these lead to it hanging at the logo screen (for hours).

- Safe Mode, three kinds (plain, with command prompt, with networking) -- a series of commands or file names scroll down the screen, then they freeze; nothing else happens The file names are all in windows\system\drivers, and the last one (where it hangs?) is Mup.sys

I tried booting from the original Win XP CD to get to the Recovery Console or do a repair installation. When I did this yesterday, it copied files and tried to start windows and then gave me an error message (windows has detected an error and needs to shut down), but then when I tried to restart Windows normally, Win XP started up fine. So that seemed like the solution. Except -- today WinXP shut itself down while I was working again and couldn't restart itself, and now the "fix" via booting from the Win XP CD doesn't work. I get stuck at the logo screen. I've tried repeatedly, but it doesn't work.

I can get into the BIOS by pressing "Delete", but don't know of anything to do in BIOS to help Windows start up.

Some background: I did not add any new hardware or software recently. I don't think it's a virus or malware. I have good antivirus protection (Avira, MSSE), did a routine security patching of all programs about a week ago (using secunia.com's Online Software Inspector), and have had no signs of a virus infection prior to this problem. Although, I have multiple antivirus programs and that can be a problem in some cases, this combination has worked fine on the problem computer for 6 months, and I have two other computers with the same OS and antivirus programs and they work fine too.

Does anyone have ideas for what I can try next? Feel free to direct me to other topics that may help.

Thanks,
Roger

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Having multiple antivirus apps installed is never recommended, not just "in some cases" but in all cases.

A failing hard drive or bad memory (RAM) could be causing the problem so you'll need to test both.

For testing RAM you can do that with 'MemTest86' from here: http://memtest86.com/
Download the "ISO image for creating a bootable CD" (first item in blue).
Use Nero or similar to write the ISO to a blank CD, then boot the PC from it.

Similarly, you can create a bootable CD to test the hard drive by downloading "Seagate SeaTools for DOS" which can test any brand of hard drive.
Get it from here: http://www.seagate.c...loads/seatools/
Make sure you download the DOS version of SeaTools since the Windows version won't be any use to you if Windows won't start.