Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Live Messenger Scene Help?

• Please log in to reply

Skeannee

Skeannee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place for this but I'm not sure where else to put it.

On Windows Live Messenger 2010 (I think that's the one), you're able to change your MSN to different scenes and backgrounds. However a while ago, all my options to change my scene into different pictures etc disappeared, and it hasn't let me put in my own images as a scene, and only colours that are given by the actual option choice. I'm not sure why this is, and I haven't been able to find any help on the internet for it.

I was wondering if you could help me solve this problem.

Thanks, Skeannee.

*Attached is the picture of what happens if I try to change it with my own image.

Untitled.jpg

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

From what i've seen on the image you have provided you are just using a standard .jpg format to which you shouldn't get this message. 2010 is the older version as 2011 is now out. First off im going to get you to install the new version and this can be obtained through this link

When this is installed you can change your theme / display picture from the tools menu at the top.

Thanks

Skeannee

Skeannee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your reply.

I've installed the 2011 version before and I dislike the layout a lot. I like the features and addons that I have for the 2010 version, so I want to keep on using this version. Other people who have the same 2010 WLM are able to change their themes and scenes, so I'm confused as to why mine isn't working and how they haven't encountered any problems.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

The new 2011 versions isn't bad when you get use to it. You could try and download an older version however you might be forced to upgrade to the newer version which is 2011. If you would like to try this you can goto Old Version (link is below after Windows Vista and Windows 7) where it has versions 1.0 to 8.5.1235 however you will probably be forced to upgrade and since the error you are getting is related to your version you may not be able to re-install it due to this new version. What you maybe able to try is do a repair installation which I have provided below which covers Windows XP to Windows 7 however for Windows Vista and Windows 7 it is done slightly different but it does the same job.

For Windows XP

• Goto start and select run
  • In the run box type appwiz.cpl and hit enter which will take you to Add/Remove programs
  • In Add/Remove programs find the application and select remove
  • Follow on-screen instructions

For Windows Vista and Windows 7 (slight difference but not alot)

• Press and hold the windows key on your keyboard and hit r
  • In the run box type appwiz.cpl and hit enter which will take you to Add/Remove programs
  • In Add/Remove programs find the application and select remove
  • Follow on-screen instructions

If this fails then you can try an older version and the old versions can be found here however as I said above you maybe forced to upgrade to a newer version so I cannot guarantee that this will work and we are unable to provide support on bypassing this error however I hope this works for you. In the meantime if I can come up with any other solution I shall reply in this topic or if anyone else see's this post and has and idea i'm sure they will be happy to assist. If this message appears after you have done this please reply to this topic.

Thanks

Edited by wizzy2k5, 14 January 2011 - 10:19 AM.