i have a motherboard Intel Ashland D845GLAD with integrated sound - the chip says (not a diagnostic tool, i found it physically to make sure) SigmaTel, STAC9766T, my system is Windows XP pro 2002, sp2. here is what i have done so far:
- after some trouble, i found drivers for this to be the "SigmaTel Major C Audio" - and i downloaded these from intel, specifying my motherboard. i installed the driver, all the checks are saying i have the latest drivers and that the device is working properly. this may be true, but there is no sound.
- after this, i was looking for an alternative and i found Realtek AC'97 drivers. These drivers do not install. the installation runs halfway and then restarts my computer. no message no nothing, just a blank screen and restart. after i restart, theres a message that my system recovered from a serious error.
- i had found some other drivers on the SigmaTel site, they did the same restart rutine as the realtek.
- i made sure all the cables and whatnot are in place, tried the SigmaTel drivers from Intel site again, same result. they install fine, they fool the diagnostic tools into telling me everthing is rosy, but there is no sound. i checked the BIOS to make sure the sound is enabled from the integrated chip - and it is indeed enabled.
- i updated the BIOS according to Intel site, specifying my motherboard. it automatically said that the SigmaTel chip was found and went off to internet somewhere to drag the latest drivers. it did, installed, proclaimed all is dandy, but there is no sound.
- i installed the drivers for SigmaTel i found originally at Intel site. same story - drivers are installed, sound is not working. device manager and various driver checkers say everything is in place and working.
- i tried to install the Realtek drivers onto the new BIOS to see if anything has changed. same results - the drivers install only half-way thru (discarding SigmaTel drivers in the process) and suddenly restart the machine.
if anybody knows why the realtek drivers kill windows or why sigmatel drivers say they are ok, while there is no sound, let me know please. if im doing something totally wrong, let me know too please. if you know of any drivers that may by chance work magic with the SigmaTel STAC9966T sound chip, let me know also.
ps. if you want any of my further system specs from everest, i can give those too.