Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown Hardware Issue causing crashes & preventing OS reinstall

• Please log in to reply

Bluetracks

Bluetracks

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I am having serious issues with my windows 7 64 bit pc.   

I believe the issue is hardware related but unable to determine cause or solution.  

About 3 days ago computer froze and crashed.  Restarted the computer and crashes occurred within 30 or so minutes.  Eventually the pc failed to boot and windows startup repair found error but reported unable to repair.  

However I could boot with safe mode.  Transferred files in case of drive failure and reboot was working for a while.  Crashes continued until boot failure once again but safe mode worked.  Safe mode and then restart allows me to boot normally for unknown reasons for a while.  

Crashes were giving a consistent error in a ".sys" file with error code 1060 in windows event viewer.  So I decided to reinstall win7 OS.   I attempted upgrade install.  Installation failed.  

So I tried clean install on unused hard drive.  Removed all other drives before starting.  5 attempts all failed usually at the "completing installation" phase.  Error message only said "unexpected" restart which caused OS install failure.  

I have no idea which component is causing the situation.  

Any ideas for troubleshooting or solving this situation is appreciated.  

Advertisements

Bluetracks

Bluetracks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Tried to install OS again this morning and it managed to complete this time. But crash occurred with the new drive proving that issue is not hard drive.

I believe video card may be the issue. When I tried to install OS yesterday without success it always failed during last part of install before video testing and resolution adjustment occurred. As well some video distortions on screen occur as crash happened when windows OS was running. Could be that the card fan has some issue or hardware problem. My best guess at the moment.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi bluetracks, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Is this a homebuilt computer? Some PC manufacturers have diagnostic tests you can run on the hardware to test for failures. HP and Dell come to mind.

You have spare hard drives laying around... any chance you would have a spare video card to swap in?