Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I get permission to use a file on a network?

• Please log in to reply

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I have two computers; one on W7, the other on WXP.
I set up a wireless network because I want to use a file residing on the WXP with both computers.
I can open the WXP files with my W7 and change them, but it says I lack permission to save them.
How do I get permission to save them?

(after writing this I moved the one file I wanted to use on both computers to a directory call "shared files". That worked and solved my immediate problem; but is there anything that would get me permission to all the files?)

Another, rather less important problem...
Using the WXP it doesn't even look like it is networked; it doesn't seem to see the W7.
I expect that will be more difficult to fix, but I am mentioning it in case it has something to do with the permission problem.

Edited by Tollerowner, 13 January 2011 - 04:42 PM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi Tollerowner,

Let's check our file sharing permissions on the Windows 7 computer.

Open the Network and Sharing Center by clicking on the Wireless Network icon Posted Image and clicking Open Network and Sharing Center or by locating it in the Control Panel in the Start Menu.
Once in the Network and Sharing Center, first verify that your network is listed under your active networks as a "Home network". If it is not, click on the current network setting (either Work Network or Public Network) and click on Home Network in the Set Network Location dialog.
Now that it is set as a Home network, you can further change network settings by selecting Change advanced sharing settings in the left side of the window. From there you can change certain sharing options such as network discovery, file sharing, and even media streaming.

Caution: Keep in mind that these options may compromise the security of your computer if an untrusted computer is added to the network. PLEASE appropriately protect your wireless network and do not hand out the password like candy.

Good luck!

P.S. Here is an excellent column on similar file sharing options for Windows XP. Please double check your file sharing options on your Windows XP computer to assure that the right folders are being shared and that the "Allow network users to change my files" box is checked.

Edited by The Admiral, 14 January 2011 - 09:54 PM.