Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to open folders after windows update?!

• Please log in to reply

2nah

2nah

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Yesterday, I downloaded the update for Windows 7 through windows update. The next time I started up my computer, I was unable to open folders. I am able to open the downloads folder on my desktop, but all of the folders withing won't open. I get this message : "This file does not have a program associated with it to perform this action. Please install a program, or if one is already installed, create an association in the default programs control panel." I looked in the default programs control panel but am unsure what to change and don't want to mess anything else up. I'm guessing it's a pretty easy fix but I could use some help. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Try restoring your computer to the time before the updates. You will not loose any data.

mtu

mtu

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Had the same trouble myself with this problem. Restored to earlier time and fault went, but everytime the computer updates, it puts the problem back on.
Anybody have any ideas which download to delete to cure this problem.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi mtu :D
Restore the computer to before the problem updates and then manually install the updates one at a time, after you have installed each update try opening your folders to see if the problem reoccurs, do this until you have not only identified the problem update but also manually installed all the other updates in case there is an issue with more than 1 update, uninstall any problem updates and then proceed to the next one, look out for future Hot-fixes from MS that resolve the issue and allow the problem updates to be installed.
For future reference, when seeking assistance you need to start your own topic as others issue/s may seem the same a your own but the cause and the solution may not be, this can cause confusion and one person following guidance that was being offered to another, thank you for your understanding.

Edited by phillpower2, 13 February 2011 - 10:55 AM.

mtu

mtu

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Many thanks. Did as you suggested and found that the download KB2454826 was the one causing the problem.
thanks for help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome and thanks for posting back with the solution, it may help others :D