Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSoD Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

NeedHelpNow93

NeedHelpNow93

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Geekstogo,

Yesterday, my computer (Acer Aspire M5910) started acting up. It crashed onto a BSoD, but it rebooted and i didn't think more about it. It's now done it ~15 times within the last 20 hours, everytime with the same message.
I have not been able to get a hang of the entire message, but it said something like: STOP: 0x000000D1 and then tcpip.sys

From viewing old cases, i've seen that this is possibly due to my network drivers, but i'm not able to tell completely. Although, i've now set it up with no internet connection, and it haven't crashed yet...
I've attached the minidumps from every crash since it started, and i'm hoping some1 can look into this, and get me out of this trouble? Take in mind, that i am not a PC guy, i don't know alot about the insides.

Thanks in advance, hope to hear from you soon!

Regards,
Lars

Attached Files

Advertisements

NeedHelpNow93

NeedHelpNow93

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The exact BSoD message is:

Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal

If this first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFF88001A897A0)

*** tcpip.sys – Address FFFFF88991A897A0 base at FFFFF88001A00000, DateStamp 4c15a458

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Have you installed any hardware/software or updates prior to the BSOD?

NeedHelpNow93

NeedHelpNow93

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Yes, seeing that i've had the computer for around 2 weeks now, i've installed several softwares, games, protection, everything.
I'm quite sure though, that the issue is something with my internet connection, as it will run without crashes when i'm not online. But as soon as i go wireless, or plug in a cable, it crashes within 2 minutes.

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Yes, seeing that i've had the computer for around 2 weeks now, i've installed several softwares, games, protection, everything.
I'm quite sure though, that the issue is something with my internet connection, as it will run without crashes when i'm not online. But as soon as i go wireless, or plug in a cable, it crashes within 2 minutes.

Try going to the manufacture's web site and check to make sure that your network adapter drivers are up to date.

NeedHelpNow93

NeedHelpNow93

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've now downloaded and installed all the latest drivers i could find. It seemed to work for a moment, but now i'm back in troubles, with the same error screen.

Is there any chance some1 could look into the minidumps, and tell me exactly what is wrong, and what i can do about it? I'm on the brink of returning it, and i really wouldn't like to have to.

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Explanation of the bugcheck you are receiving.

0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
(Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article.)
The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

My first suggestion is to check your memory since you stated the system was only 2 weeks old and it seems the error has been happening almost since you got it.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

NeedHelpNow93

NeedHelpNow93

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for the response rshaffer61. As i am not very familiar with the insides of a PC, can you give me some directions on location the RAM sticks you're mentioning?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Skip the Option A instructions and just move along to testing the memory with Memtest86. Lets find out if the memory as whole is having a issue. If so then we will look at checking the memory individually. :D