Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 shared printer with XP

• Please log in to reply

criptonite

criptonite

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
This is a very frustrating one. A friend has a Windows 7 PC connected to a printer via USB and connected via ethernet to a wireless router. His Laptop has XP. I have created a user account on his Win 7 machine and the tried to add his Epson RX600 as the default printer on his laptop.

When I get to the point where the add printer wizard asks for the location on the network it then asks for the location of the driver. I point it to the driver but it then says "Windows cannot locate a suitable driver. Please contact your administrator". This is the right location for the driver and the driver works (I went back to basics and installed the driver while connected via usb to the printer and it works fine).

I have the exact same system at home (printer connected to a win 7 PC via usb and a wireless router plus an XP laptop). I go through the same procedure and it works first time. A very easy process.

Any thoughts?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
"I have the exact same system at home"

Do you mean you also have the exact same model of printer at home as your friend?

I ask that because, according to the Epson support websites both in the US & UK, they have never released a Windows 7 compatible driver for the RX600 photo printer, nor are they ever likely to since that model is too old for them to continue writing drivers for. Writing new drivers costs money, and as new printer models are launched, old models unfortunately have to be left by the wayside. Many people, myself included, have had to replace their trusty old printer when we upgraded to Windows 7 because the printer manufacturer decided not to issue any more new drivers for that discontinued model.

The last complete driver Epson released for the RX600 was for windows XP, which is why it works only on his laptop running xp. That same driver will certainly not work on Windows 7.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 14 January 2011 - 01:56 PM.

criptonite

criptonite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
That's interesting! I don't have an RX600 myself but my friends RX600 is connected via USB to the main PC which has Windows 7 and is working fine. I've checked on the Epson site and it seems you're right. That gives me something else to try. Thanks :-)

criptonite

criptonite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Also checked on my printer which is an Epson DX6050 and that also doesn't have a driver for Windows 7 but everything is working absolutely fine. Just adds to the confusion for now!

criptonite

criptonite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Problem solved. It turns out that you have to alter the INF file which has the model listed as EPSON Stylus Photo RX600 when it should have Epson Stylus Photo RX600(M). Its as simple as adding the (M) to the INF file. Then it worked just fine.

Incidentally. There is an official driver for Windows 7 but not on the Epson.co.uk site. Epson.com have it.

criptonite

criptonite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Problem solved. It turns out that you have to alter the INF file which has the model listed as EPSON Stylus Photo RX600 when it should have Epson Stylus Photo RX600(M). Its as simple as adding the (M) to the INF file. Then it worked just fine.

Incidentally. There is an official driver for Windows 7 but not on the Epson.co.uk site. Epson.com have it.