Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor not even lighting up

• Please log in to reply

Tidenova

Tidenova

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Hey all,
I normally use this site for malware, but this is the first hardware problem I've ever had. I have an old (2003) 17" LCD flat screen monitor. Randomly, (last month) the monitor light that signals it is at least plugged in was not on. It is orange when plugged in but not on and green when plugged in and on. I looked at the powerbox on the cord it it's green light was on, indicating that it was getting juice. I assumed the monitor must have died.

Now today, Jan 13th, I borrowed an older monitor (that still works) from my friend. When I plugged it in, its light did not come on either...and this monitor is so old it doesn't have a plug in cord, just the one that goes in the computer. So I took the monitor plug out of the video card and put it in the regular (factory) monitor slot, and that didn't work either. So is this a problem with these monitors or is it possible that something is wrong with my computer?

BTW, I am on a laptop right now, but the computer system that I am signed up through this site on is the one in my profile info.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

...and this monitor is so old it doesn't have a plug in cord, just the one that goes in the computer.

What does that mean? EVERY monitor must have two cords, one for power and one for the video data.

Tidenova

Tidenova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Not this one, it literally only has a cord to go in the computer, no place for a power cord either.

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
How does the monitor get power?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Not this one, it literally only has a cord to go in the computer, no place for a power cord either

Sorry, but I don't believe it. Graphics ports do not provide power. Therefore, monitors must get power from an external source. Look again.

Tidenova

Tidenova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Not sure, maybe it uses a USB site connection, but it is an old monitor and there is no 3 pronged access in the back for a power cord.

Either way, in relation to the other monitor, the power cord was activating the green light in the powerbox, but the powerlight would not turn on at all. It also didn't work in either of the monitor ports. I guess my question is, would this mean this monitor is dead (should I just toss it), or can it be fixed for a cheaper fee?

Tidenova

Tidenova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Not this one, it literally only has a cord to go in the computer, no place for a power cord either

Sorry, but I don't believe it. Graphics ports do not provide power. Therefore, monitors must get power from an external source. Look again.

Don't really care if you believe it or not, I've looked, I know what to look for. I came here for help, not to debate the factuality of my posting. Please refer to the problem at hand, rather than how you feel about the equipment I have. Thank you.

Is the original monitor salvageable? Would it most likely be an issue with the cord or the actual monitor itself?

Edited by Tidenova, 13 January 2011 - 02:19 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Don't really care if you believe it or not, I've looked, I know what to look for. I came here for help, the to debate the factuality of my posting. Please refer to the problem at hand, rather than how you feel about the equipment I have. Thank you.

Look, we are just volunteers here trying to help folks like you seeking free help. Now I have been recognized by this site and by Microsoft for knowing a little bit about computers and one thing you can be certain of is there is no such thing as a D-Sub, DVI, or HDMI graphics port on computers that provides power to external monitors. Therefore, while I am sure you know what to look for, it is apparent you have overlooked where the power cord connects to on that monitor. If you can't find it, or won't look for it, I suggest you contact your friend and ask him for the power cord and where it connects. And sadly, since you have neglected to tell us anything about this second monitor, other than it is "older", or anything about your computer leaving us with no option but to guess, causing you to complain when we don't provide what you want to hear. :D So, as of now we have nothing else to go on. Until you find the power connection, and the appropriate cord (which may, or may not include a power block - depending on the specific brand and model number of that older monitor), you are on your own because once again, PCs do not power monitors - they only provide the video content through a video data cable. If you still cannot find the cord, or where it goes, provide the monitor's brand and model number so we can plug that into Google and find that information for you.

Now I'm here to help, but frankly, I don't care one way or the other. My monitors work. But since I volunteer here to help folks with their problems, I would like see you get yours resolved too. But to do that, you are going to have to trust us, and care what we believe, and finally help us help you by stop making us guess about your hardware.

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Can you supply pictures of the monitor and/or the make/model of the monitor?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Understand, there may not be a 3 pronged connection on the back. If it uses a power block (transformer) it may be a small round hole, similar to a headphone jack. It would not use USB for power. USB does not provide enough wattage to power a monitor, especially an older one.

Advertisements

alnoth

alnoth

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
just to move things on, simply tell us what the make of the monitor is. brand, type, the more info, the better. photo?

i did have a problem that looked very much the same as you describe TWICE!

first:
my monitor was old, so old, it was not even an LCD screen but the classic glass display. my problem was too much dust inside the on/off button. took it apart, vacuumed the whole thing, worked.

second:
an LCD monitor of a particular brand and type (i cant remember now) which was even known as a manufacturing bug - the whole lot of the buttons just snapped on the inside of the monitor - the plastic bits were not pushing anything anymore, even tho you actuallu pushed the buttons on the outside.

either way, if the monitor doesnt even light up, the only problem could be the power. either inside the monitor like in my cases. when theres not even a blimp of light, it must be the power supply.

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Don't take the monitor apart, unless you been trained to do so

alnoth

alnoth

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
even if you have been trained to, theres warranty issues...

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Understand, there may not be a 3 pronged connection on the back. If it uses a power block (transformer) it may be a small round hole, similar to a headphone jack. It would not use USB for power. USB does not provide enough wattage to power a monitor, especially an older one.

For example, like this one for a BenQ FP991 LCD monitor:

Posted Image

Note the little round connector in the bottom center of the pic. That's the one that plugs into the monitor.

Tidenova

Tidenova

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

just to move things on, simply tell us what the make of the monitor is. brand, type, the more info, the better. photo?

i did have a problem that looked very much the same as you describe TWICE!

first:
my monitor was old, so old, it was not even an LCD screen but the classic glass display. my problem was too much dust inside the on/off button. took it apart, vacuumed the whole thing, worked.

second:
an LCD monitor of a particular brand and type (i cant remember now) which was even known as a manufacturing bug - the whole lot of the buttons just snapped on the inside of the monitor - the plastic bits were not pushing anything anymore, even tho you actuallu pushed the buttons on the outside.

either way, if the monitor doesnt even light up, the only problem could be the power. either inside the monitor like in my cases. when theres not even a blimp of light, it must be the power supply.

The LCD monitor is a MAG innovation 17" LCD product #: LT765c, Model #: 780. I've had this thing for years...like 5 or 6, and it never has had any problems. Again, the powercord has a green light on, and the LCD light isn't turning on. I guess I was hoping that the cord might be the issue, but I didn't know since it was lighting up.