Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Professional - folder view options

• Please log in to reply

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I'm using Windows XP Professional (I've just changed over recently from XP Home), and every time I change my folder views to 'thumbnails', then go out of the folder and back in again, the things have changed BACK to the previous view. I've already ticked the option to keep folders as I've made them, but it's not working. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
open a folder (any folder) and set it to the view you want, then click on tools in the menu bar, then click on folder options, then go to view, and press the apply to all folders button.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I think, if this is a simple matter and not a file corruption, preventing the change, this will solve it for you
See screenshot please.
Do not be insulted but I have of course no way of knowing your level of knowledge.
Are you clicking apply and ok to set.

dsenette
Just preparing screenshot before your post appeared.
Only so you do not think I was just adding worthless comment

Edited by Macboatmaster, 14 January 2011 - 12:23 PM.

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips... I've already got that option ticked, though, and I also tried unticking it, applying the change, then ticking it again and applying, and it's still reverting to the previous view each time after I shut the PC down, sometimes before I even do that :-/

The entire harddrive I'm referring to is shared with two other PCs in our house - I've never had this problem with shared folders before, but do you think that could somehow be causing this problem?

Edited by Vanessa13, 16 January 2011 - 01:22 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I've already got that option ticked,

There is no option to tick or untick.
It is not in the list. It is the button apply to all folders.
You select the view you wish from icons, list etc.

open a folder (any folder) and set it to the view you want, then click on tools in the menu bar, then click on folder options, then go to view, and press the apply to all folders button.

you then apply to all folders, you then click apply and OK

Edited by Macboatmaster, 16 January 2011 - 02:41 PM.

Vanessa13

Vanessa13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ah okay, got it, thanks! Blonde moment there on my part, thanks! :-)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You are welcome and I like the Blonde moment :D