Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ram or motherboard issue?

• Please log in to reply

media

media

• Pip
  • 8 posts
lately ive been getting weird spikes on my computer, not on the internet but just my computer itself seems slow. it seems that my physical memory is always around 50% - 60% but my cpu is 0%. i took a screen shot of my task manager and my resource manager:
http://img198.images...46/92413957.png

so i checked my current ram to see how much i had installed and it showed 4gig but (1.96 in use). so i turned off my computer and took out a stick of ram, restarted, 2.00 gigs showed up. tried the other stick by itself also and it showed 2.00 also. so i tried them both together again dual channel, the same way i had it before..it gave me some crazy beeps as if i installed it wrong, then restarted by itself and it worked properly? does this mean that the mother board could be dying, i have no idea.

i dont know what happened exactly but that was the problem and its working now back at 4.00 and feels much smoother like it used to. here is a screen shot:
http://img840.images...3240/fixedw.png

i tried running a memtest+ but i couldnt get it to boot with the cd that i burned it onto so i tried the memory diagnostics test through windows but that came back as fine(no errors). after running the test i noticed that i have the action center flag in my tool bar thing saying that i had a device error or driver error on 12-24-10. this is what its telling me:
Stop (blue screen) error caused by a device or driver

You received this message because a hardware device, its driver, or related software has caused a stop error, also called a blue screen error. This type of error means the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from potential data corruption or loss. In this case, we were unable to detect the specific device or driver that caused the problem.

also this is the exact error that occurred the same day as the blue screen:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF960001434AB
BCP3: FFFFF88006875080
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\122410-17394-01.dmp
C:\Users\Danny\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-36519-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft....88&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

well like i mentioned earlier it was better for a day back at 4 gigs, what i have installed, but now its back to 1.96gigs. im currently have 4gigs of ram installed but its only reading 1.96 in use. i havent touched my computer internally or had any problems. i was just checking before i went to bed and noticed it. i have the "122410-17394-01.dmp" file too if anyone needs it to help me. thanks in advance.

not sure if its necessary now but as for specs i have a i5 750, gigabyte ga-h55-usb3, ripjaws 12800, super old hd, win 7 64

sorry for the wall of text

Edited by media, 16 January 2011 - 05:36 AM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Type msconfig in the 'Search for programs and files' bar at the bottom of the start menu. Go to the 'Boot' tab. Click advanced options. Untick 'Number of Processors' and 'Maximum Memory'. Restart your computer. Hope it works, but if you never messed with this setting, it shouldn't change by itself, i.e. both boxes should be unticked by default.

Hope this helps

media

media

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
not sure what this has to do with my physical ram, but i unticked the number of processors and the maximum memory was already unticked. i restarted and now its back at 1 core for boot but im still at 1.96 usable ram.

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Have you scanned for viruses?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

not sure what this has to do with my physical ram, but i unticked the number of processors and the maximum memory was already unticked. i restarted and now its back at 1 core for boot but im still at 1.96 usable ram.

It could have been a reason, but it seems it was not, one other reason might be that your power supply does not deliver enough constant voltage and your ram is only working at half it's capacity.

or one of your memory slot is defective so this how they should be used:

When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that
memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used for optimum performance. When
enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, be sure to install them in the DDR3_1 and
DDR3_3 sockets.

If only one DDR3 memory module is installed, be sure to install it in the DDR3_1 or DDR3_3 sockets.

When you installed only one memory module to check did you install both stick in slot DDR3_1 only, if yes try them both alone but in slot DDR3_3 to see if you get Bios warning beeps again

media

media

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Have you scanned for viruses?

yea scanned for virus's spyware and such but none of that came up..

media

media

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
the weird thing is, i keep restarting and trying different things and sometimes it will show me 4.00gigs of ram then im like AWESOME..ill do another restart to be 100% sure its gonna stay that way but it goes back to 1.96gigs. i realized that my bios is F6 when it should be F7, the most recent update for my motherboard, so i was going to go that route. when i optimized my settings with gigabyte bios it was fixed back to 4 gigs then switched back to 1.96 after another restart.

when i tried the ram individually, i did try it in the ddr3_1 only. ill give it a try again but in the ddr3_3 socket to see if i get the beeps again.

maybe it is my power? i have: 600w ocz / i5 750 / gigabyte ga-h55-usb3 / ripjaw 12800 @ 1600mhz / 9800gt video / basic fan cooling

media

media

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ran it with just the 1 stick in ddr3_3, i got the error at first. restarted and it was fine just like last time. restarted again and its still fine so i swapped out the other ram stick into the same slot(ddr3_3), no error this time and its running fine at 2 gigs. im currently running on 1 stick i dont know what to do

media

media

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i just saw that there is an update for my bios from f6 to f7, the latest version for my board. should i go ahead and flash the bios with q-flash? it claims to, "Improve memory compatibility"

media

media

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
changed the QPI/Vtt to 1.210V and then i changed the DRAM to 1.560V in bios...i guess i fixed it? its back at 4gigs @ 1600mhz, thanks for the help.