Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Detecting a key logger or virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
That should not be a problem.

Try this tool to remove the outdated versions of Java.

Please leave the latest version of Java installed which is Java 6 version 23.

RevoUninstaller
Download and install Revo Uninstaller
  • Double click the Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program
  • Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall
  • From the pop out menu choose Uninstall
  • Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue
  • In the next window select the Advanced mode
  • Click Next to start uninstalling the program
  • Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall
  • When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers
  • Once complete, click Next, then Finish
  • Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.

Advertisements

rose86420

rose86420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
When I go to uninstall with revo uninstaller, first I get a message telling me "Error 1723. There is a problem with this Window Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

If I continue, I select the Advance button and it tells me there are 17 keys and 82 values that were found. I have a Select all button and a delete all button. Am I supposed to delete all? If so, the first item listed says my computer, another says Windows. Some are in red, some are black. I sure don't want to delete something I shouldn't Please advise me. I'm not feeling very confident about this.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Can you take a screenshot of what you are seeing please?

Please take a screenshot of that window.
  • You can do this by pressing the PrintScreen key.
  • Then go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint
  • In Paint, go up to Edit > Paste
  • Then Go up to File > Save As. Click the drop-down box to change the "Save As Type" to "JPEG", name it what you want, and save it where you want.
  • Then click Reply in this topic.
  • Scroll down to Attachments.
  • Click the Browse button.
  • Locate the file you just saved, click on it, then click Open.
  • Click Upload and submit the reply.

rose86420

rose86420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
The first attachment was the first screen I got once I selected Java and chose to Uninstall it. The second screen was the very next screen. I could not follow your instructions with saving it as a JPEG file. I could not find an Edit button, only a paste button. Do you have Windows 7?

rose86420

rose86420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
The first attachment was the first screen I got once I selected Java and chose to Uninstall it. The second screen was the very next screen. I could not follow your instructions with saving it as a JPEG file. I could not find an Edit button, only a paste button. Do you have Windows 7?

Attached Thumbnails

• REvo 1st screen.png
  • Revo 2.png

rose86420

rose86420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Revo 3 show what I get when I hit the select button, notice all items are checked. I just went to repeat this process again and this time the final screen was Revo 4. I'm getting really confused.

Attached Thumbnails

• Revo 3.png
  • Revo 4.png

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Yes, you will want to allow it to remove those registry entries.

But first do the following:

Back-Up Registry
First, we need to backup your registry:
Please go to Start > Run
Paste in the following line:

regedit /e c:\registrybackup.reg

Click OK.
It won't appear to be doing anything, that's normal.
Your mouse pointer may turn to an hour glass for a minute.
Please continue when it no longer has the hour glass.

rose86420

rose86420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Did what you said, ran Revo, uninstalled all items rebooted and Java is still there.Rose

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
The latest version of Java should still be installed correct?

That should be the only version that you have installed,

rose86420

rose86420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
No, I can not remove Java 6 Update 16. I download the new Version and it is still on my desktop.

When I try to uninstall Java, it first gives me message Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

I continue the scan, I select to delete all, I reboot and the old version is still there.

The file I attached is a picture of the programs Revo lists after I did the uninstall

Advertisements

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Can you try downloading and running JavaRa again?

I have given the updating Java issue some further thought and it is possible not all of the installations were uninstalled in full. It happens upon occasion, so please carry out the following.

Note: Do not try to install Java just yet and the current installer you have please delete that if still present also in-case that itself is damaged.

Please download JavaRa and unzip it to your desktop.

***Please close any instances of Internet Explorer before continuing!***

• Double-click on JavaRa.exe to start the program.
  • From the drop-down menu, choose English and click on Select.
  • JavaRa will open; click on Remove Older Versions to remove the older versions of Java installed on your computer.
  • Click Yes when prompted. When JavaRa is done, a notice will appear that a logfile has been produced. Click OK.
  • A logfile will pop up. Please save it to a convenient location and post it in your next reply.

rose86420

rose86420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I deleted the new version of Java, the JavaRa I had previously downloaded and the log file I previously created.

I reinstall JavaRa from the link you gave me.
I complete all the steps that you tell me to do as listed below.

* Double-click on JavaRa.exe to start the program.
* From the drop-down menu, choose English and click on Select.
* JavaRa will open; click on Remove Older Versions to remove the older versions of Java installed on your computer.
* Click Yes when prompted. When JavaRa is done, a notice will appear that a logfile has been produced. Click OK.
* A logfile will pop up. Please save it to a convenient location and post it in your next reply.

A logfile is created and saved to my desktop. When I go to open it, a Window's Explorer page opens and quickly closes. Is this program compatible with Windows 7? Not sure what the problem is. If I tried to download and run the new version would it remove the old version?

rose86420

rose86420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
When I try to remove Java ™ Update 16 from the Control Panel I get "Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

When I try to remove Java ™ Update 23 from the Control Panel I get "Internal Error 2753.regutils.dll"

I just found this Web page
http://forums.oracle...422337&tstart=0
Is there anything on this link I could try? I'm getting desperate as I need to take care of some financial business online and I'm not sure if it is safe?
It seems our time to work on this together is limited - you seem to send your replies when I'm at work and when I'm home you're not available. I sure do appreciate all your help but I'm really getting into a bind. Any thoughts?

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Hello,

A logfile is created and saved to my desktop. When I go to open it, a Window's Explorer page opens and quickly closes. Is this program compatible with Windows 7? Not sure what the problem is. If I tried to download and run the new version would it remove the old version?

Yes, it should. I am going to ask that you post in our Applications forum, making sure you include a link to this thread, and see what the techs have to say about this issue.

Your logs appear to be clean, so if you have no further issues with your computer, then please proceed with the following housekeeping procedures outlined below.

Time for some housekeeping
The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Click Start > Run and copy/paste the following bolded text into the Run box and click OK: ComboFix /Uninstall

NEXT:

OTL Fix

We need to run an OTL Fix
  • Please reopen Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Copy and Paste the following code into the Posted Image textbox.

:Commands
    [ClearAllRestorePoints]

• Push Posted Image
  • OTL may ask to reboot the machine. Please do so if asked.
  • Click Posted Image.
  • A report will open. Copy and Paste that report in your next reply.
  • If the machine reboots, the log will be located at C:\_OTL\MovedFiles\mmddyyyy_hhmmss.log, where mmddyyyy_hhmmss is the date of the tool run.

NEXT:

OTL Clean-Up

We Need to Clean Up our Mess
Our work on your machine has left considerable leftovers on your box. Let's clean those up real quick:
  • Reopen Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click on Posted Image
  • You will be prompted to reboot your system. Please do so.
If you still have any tools or logs leftover on your computer you can go ahead and delete those off of your computer now.

NEXT:

All Clean Speech

===> Make sure you've re-enabled any Security Programs that we may have disabled during the malware removal process. <===

Below I have included a number of recommendations for how to protect your computer against malware infections.

Updated Anti-Virus Program
It's essential that you have an updated anti-virus program running on your computer. You don't want to run more than one as it can cause program conflicts, as well as false positives

You can view an excellent list of Free Security Software programs that has been compiled by GeekstoGo.

Avoid P2P Programs

Remember that no matter how clean the program you're using for peer-to-peer filesharing may be, it offers no guarantees regarding the cleanliness of files you may choose to download. All files available via p2p filesharing carry a high risk, particularly those that offer you illegitimate methods of using legitimate software programs without paying for them. Some further readings on this subject, along the included links, are as follows: File-Sharing, otherwise known as Peer To Peer and Risks of File-Sharing Technology.

If you have any of these programs installed then I highly suggest you uninstall them.

NOTE: Take care when answering any questions posed by an uninstaller. Some questions may be worded to deceive you into keeping the program.

Internet Browsers

Many of the users that I assist here on the forums, ask me which programs they can use to prevent themselves from getting infected again in the future. The best answer I can give you is too practice safe browsing.

Please consider using an alternative browser such as Google Chrome or Opera. They are both much more secure than Internet Explorer, immune to almost all known browser hijackers, and also have great built-in pop-up blockers.

I also suggest you make your Internet Explore more secure.

Make Internet Explorer more secure

• Click Start > Run
  • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
  • Click on the Security tab
  • Click Reset all zones to default level
  • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
  • In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
  • Next Click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Extra Goodies

• It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection. Refer to this Microsoft article
    Strong passwords: How to create and use them
    then consider a password keeper, to keep all your passwords safe.
  • Keep Windows updated by regularly checking their website at: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer.
  • You should run an updated scan with MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware weekly. Instructions are included below:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Select the Update tab
    • Click Check for Updates

• Be weary of e-mails from unknown senders. Keep the following in mind as well: If it's to good to be true, then it more than likely is.

• FileHippo Update Checker is an extremely helpful program that will tell you which of your programs need to be updated. Its important to keep programs up to date so that malware doesn't exploit any old security flaws.
  • ATF Cleaner - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.
  • WOT, Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:
    • Green to go
    • Yellow for caution
    • Red to stop
    WOT has an addon available for Chrome and Opera.
  • Keep a backup of your important files - Now, more than ever, it's especially important to protect your digital files and memories. This article is full of good information on alternatives for home backup solutions.
  • In light of your recent issue, I'm sure you'd like to avoid any future infections. Please take a look at these well written articles:
    Think Prevention.
    PC Safety and Security--What Do I Need?.
**Be very wary with any security software that is advertised in popups or in other ways. They are not only usually of no use, but often have malware in them.

Thank you for your patience, and performing all of the procedures requested.

Please respond one last time so we can consider the thread resolved and close it, thank-you.

Cheers,
SweetTech.

rose86420

rose86420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I Ran OTL Fix and am sending you my log. I also did the clean up.

So I still have an outdated Adobe Reader Problem and outdated Java problem. You also had me do a ESETSCAN (attached the logfile) and said that we would have to get back to that issue. Not sure what that problem was.

When I try to remove Java ™ Update 16 from the Control Panel I get "Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

When I try to remove Java ™ Update 23 from the Control Panel I get "Internal Error 2753.regutils.dll"

I just found this Web page
http://forums.oracle...422337&tstart=0

Is this something I should try?

Attached Files