Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

stored laptop

• Please log in to reply

ctnmouthj

ctnmouthj

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Pulled my dell out of 2 year storage. Started but very slow through various startup screens to signin screen. Display is small size. Can get to windows 2000 advanced options menu but selection of option is not reponding. God knows where my original 2000 install cd is. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit ctnmouthj? and Welcome to GtoG...

You can use a Windows XP CD to boot from and then use the repair console to run a hard rive check, (chkdsk /r/p). You press "R" once the Windows XP CD has finished starting, then it will find your Win2000 operating system directory and ask you to log on (Administrator password). It should eventually get to a Dos prompt where you type chkdsk /r/p and then press enter.

I have used this to repair several Win2000 systems. There maybe something else wrong with the Dell, but I'd start with this.

Hope this helps...

ctnmouthj

ctnmouthj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Mark, my xp disk has been sitting in the cd drawer of the stored unit without response. I have tried restarting a number of times but the machine continues the same processes to the sign in window without starting the cd. The light comes on momentarily for the cd drive but no response. Any next ideas?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Have you changed the boot sequence in the BIOS to CD/DVD drive first and the HDD second?
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the F2, F8 or DEL key
This will enter you into the BIOS/CMOS area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter;
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter;
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CD/DVD drive;
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive;
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit;
You will be prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.
Follow the instructions provided by Mark D from here.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The chkdsk /r cmd implies /p

Additionally see this
CHKDSK
chkdsk drive /p /r
The chkdsk command checks the specified drive and repairs or recovers the drive if the drive requires it. The command also marks any bad sectors and it recovers readable information.

You can use the following options:
/p Does an exhaustive check of the drive and corrects any errors.
/r Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.
Note If you specify the /r option, the /p option is implied. When you specify the chkdsk command without arguments, the command checks the current drive with no options in effect.

If you do run the cmd - from the recovery console and the windows is on C drive - type "chkdsk c: /r"

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 January 2011 - 12:59 PM.