Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Licensing question about Windows 7.

• Please log in to reply

jrspie

jrspie

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I bought a copy of Windows 7 Pro x64 from Microsoft as an upgrade from XP Pro.
I installed it with no big problem until I had to input the long license number string.
MS wouldn't take it so I called them and thet took care of it right away.
Last night I did a clean install for the same pc but with a new hard drive, using the same MS cd and the same license that came with the cd.
Again MS would not take the license and this time it would not let me get past the license field.
Out of desperation I erased the whole license string and hit enter and MS let me finish the install.
I have not received any warning nor any pop ups about the license or activating the OS.
The question is simple.
What happened?
Thanks.
jrspie

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You have 30 days to activate it.

With a new hard drive, you need to install your previous version of Windows, and then reinstall Windows 7. (Use the correct product key with each product of course).

Microsoft.com > Windows 7 activation error: invalid product key
http://windows.micro...lid-product-key