Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registration key vs registry

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I have been reading other questions as someone come close to my problem, no keyboard function, no USB if I let the system boot into windows XP. I can not boot into safe mode either as that just brings up a garbled screen. I am considering doing the repair install covered in detail but still have a question on that. Will Windows accept and use a registration key from a non original cd? I don't want to lose the programs . My system is totally functional if I use ubuntu if that info helps. I know I just can't copy the drives as that wouldn't do a thing to pick up the registry the programs are embedded in.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
You can use any Microsoft Windows installation CD to perform a repair install provided that the CD you use contains the same version of Windows & incorporates the same Service Pack (if any) as the version you want to repair.

If you are prompted to enter a "Product Key" (it's not a "registration key" as you referred to it) you must enter the same Product Key as the one that belongs to the version you're trying to repair. If Windows was pre-installed on the PC when it was bought, the correct Product Key for it will be printed on a sticker on the back panel or, if it's a laptop, on the underside of it.