Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

activating my harddrives after XP install

• Please log in to reply

dragracer1970

dragracer1970

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i just reformatted my C drive on my PC and installed windows XP again and updated all my drivers. Everything seems to be good other than my OTHER HARDDRIVE in my machine. It is recognized in my computer and all my items are still there since i did not touch that harddrive, but all my games that are installed on that drive will not play, when i put the CD in they just want to install...basically the drive is not active? when i go to start and all programs non of the installed games or anything from my other harddrive is not there. WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO I AM A NEWBIE! thank you

Advertisements

cdwasupport

cdwasupport

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi...

If you can see all your files, on the second drive it sound like when the programs were installed on the computer Windows has put some files into the the default windows directories as well as files going into the installation drive for the games.

I would suggest trying reinstalling on of the games to see if it starts working.

Regards

Simon Ward

Edited by Artellos, 20 January 2011 - 02:40 PM.
removed a link

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
If you installed the games or programs on the other drive instead of the C drive then you will not be able to use them.
You will need to re-install them.
Even if they were installed on the C drive, they are gone because the drive is reformatted and the registry is new with no links to the programs.

When you reformat a drive you need to reinstall all programs. Any links in the registry to the program is gone. That includes if the program is installed on another drive.