Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP disc repair - frozen mouse during driver confirmation

• Please log in to reply

bonovox400

bonovox400

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there. So I have an XP home SP2 OS PC, with 2 hard drives and each has it's own XP home OS. (2nd hard drive is for storage or for booting into in case of emergency or something)
So anyway, the last week or so I got some nasty malware that was browser redirecting, making the add/remove programs in control panel show up blank, and would force a blue screen of death(and reboot) if I tried to boot into safe mode.
I was able to clean all this up using a combination of AVG and SuperAntiVirus, along with Malwarebytes program. It appears that my registry was damaged as my add/remove programs is still blank, so i decided to repair windows XP using the Windows XP install disc (which has worked well in the past) FYI, the disc i'm using is an SP2 slipstream disc that was made from my own retail XP sp1 disc.

I've done this plenty of times in the past (disc repair) but never had this happen: When windows repair gets a couple steps in, it states something like "Creative X-Fi Sound driver has not passed MicroSoft certification...would you like to proceed with installing these drivers" and has a YES / NO click able box available. Now EXACTLY at the same time this message shows up, my USB mouse and keyboard completely turn off. Previously while the stupid "Look at these new features of XP!" messages are running in the background, I can move the cursor and the keyboard lights are on.... so it's not disabled upon BIOS/bootup or anything. It is ONLY disabled upon reaching this step in the repair/install. (Unplugging/switching USB ports, etc does not power them back on, unless a reboot is performed)

So i'm stuck here. If I reboot, it attempts to complete the repair where it left off and gets back to the same point within a few minutes, upon where it freezes my mouse/keyboard again. I left it like this for 5 hours and nothings, so it is waiting for user confirmation which I CANNOT input!
According to some web pages, people recommended removing the hardware (which I will try tonight) but that user did so and then was asked to confirm his video card :D which AGAIN left the keyboard/mouse frozen. I'm not about to rip apart all the hardware for this, but I refuse to reformat the drive.
Is there a way to boot into the 2nd hard drive OS and then somehow determine what drivers are NOT MS certified on the 1st HD, and THEN update them from the 2nd hard drive?!?

Sorry to ask so much. If you need more details, please let me know. Thanks!

Advertisements

wolfkiss

wolfkiss

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Yes, this is a fun one. The repair process decides to stop and tell you about the driver issue and wait for your response AFTER it has disabled the USB input devices and BEFORE it has re-enabled them.

The couple of times I've encountered this I was repairing an XP installation that the manufacturer has installed (Dell, HP) including the questionable drivers. Hmmmm.

The only way I ever found to get past it was to remove the device. Since the device was often built into the motherboard, this meant disabling it in the On-Board Devices section of the BIOS.

After the XP repair is completed, you can enable the device and install the driver without a problem.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi bonovox400,
Welcome to GeeksToGo. It sounds like you still have malware infecting your machine that the programs you used didn't catch.
I would recommend that you go to the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal forum and post your problem there before disabling devices in the BIOS. Please read the first pinned topic "Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide Please read BEFORE starting a new topic" and follow the directions there. Be sure to post a link to this topic so the staff member can combine them and you won't get duplicated efforts.. If the culprit is malware that's still on the system the Staff members will find it. If your system is clean, you can always come back to this OS forum and request help.

good luck