Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need to set my computer back to facotry settings with Windows Xp dis

• Please log in to reply

Chrisdurden

Chrisdurden

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I was wondering how I could recover my computer without an xp disc. I bought the computer without a Windows cd. I was wondering if it's possible to set the computer back to facotry settings without having to reinstall the windows xp.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I bought the computer without a Windows cd

Is this a name brand system like Dell, Hp or Compaq?
If so what make and model is it?
What is the reason for wanting to return it to factory settings?
You understand that means it will format the hd causing the loss of all data and programs you have installed or saved?

Chrisdurden

Chrisdurden

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
it's a compaq presario sr171onx
I wanna return it to factory setting because some of the updates I downloaded didn't download correctly. Ever since that my computer has given me 2 blue screens an shuts itself off an turns back on. I figure if I return it to factory everything would be okay. I know everything I installed/uploaded will erase, that doesn't matter to me.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
reboot and when you see the compaq logo hit F10

Chrisdurden

Chrisdurden

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright, i did that
There are a list of options ( safe mode, network)

Edited by Chrisdurden, 22 January 2011 - 12:48 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did it get you to the Recovery partition?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need to tap F10 quickly to get it to go to the Recovery Partition. If no Recovery partition is present you will not be able to access it. This would mean you have to get a set of recovery disks for it. Normally costs about 30USD from Compaq.

Chrisdurden

Chrisdurden

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It says " We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this. I f your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose....... if previous startup attempt was interurupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose start normally. (then it has) safe mode. safe mode with networking. safe mode with command prompt. last known. start normally.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
See post 7 for the correct instructions. Holding down the F10 key will result in the message you received. Tapping on it quickly will allow access to the Recovery Partition if it is present on the HD.