Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Wizzy2k5: Just updating. Checking my malware post and may have not done it correctly. Found more instructions so will follow through with them and then report what they find back to you. :D

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
pdcagirl
Thanks for the update.
A couple suggestions. Place a link of this post in your malware post so that the tech there can see what has been done over here.

Also, I have looked at your posts from the last couple months.
The errors you are getting now are:
Disc read error...CAD (I finally figured out CAD is control- alt- delete)
System restore is failed
A program(s) has not shut down properly.

There are things we have not looked at prior to going to malware.
Chkdsk will check for corruption of the drive (bad sectors)
The hitachi drive test will look for a failing drive.
We have not cleaned out all of the temp file and cache.
We have not defragged the drive.
We do not know the hard drive size and how much free space is on it. Too little free space will cause corruption and failure of the MFT (master file table).

Some of this will be checked in malware. Continue with malware and when clean you may need to come back here.
If you do return....can you post a link to the malware topic?

I know it is difficult taking/ getting directions from multiple helpers, but with multiple helpers you will get help in areas that just one may forget to cover.
We all have skills in different areas. We all work together here.
Our goal is to get you cleared out and operational.

I caught that this computer was purchased June 2010. Is there any warranty on it?

123runner

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello pdcagirl

Thanks for the update. When the Malware team have sorted you out please come back here. My-self or 123Runner can sort you out as im well versed in software and have experience is Microsoft DOS. If worse comes to worse I will instruct that you format using the Drive Fitness Test and re-install but that also depends on what comes back with the other results such as

• Malware
  • Chkdsk
  • Defragment
  • Drive Fitness Test (As I said earlier I would like to know the error code for the drive fitness test)

123Runner I have the Malware part watched and the topic can be found here

Pdcagirl If you don't get a reply within 3 days please feel to post your problem in the waiting room. Before posting please read

3 days with no reply

Then post it here

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 25 January 2011 - 07:15 AM.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Am sure there is a warranty will need to check this. Am planning on also trying to contact eCollegepc.com company and present my issue to see if they have anything to offer.

Also a bit of added info. As I told a game site I am on - just when I think I know something about PCs I get sort of a comeuppance. One has to do the f8 tapping on bootup NOT on restart! Thus was able to get into safe mode! Geesssshhh
AND THEN was able to do a restore but ONLY for 3 days ago not enough for what I think I wanted. And then at that, as the PC was booting to desk top got yet another runtime error message.

Will keep on keepin' on and try to follow your latest suggestions. Yes, I know the 'more the merryier' re advice for PC problems. But guess because I am such a novice - I get so caught up in trying to understand it all - get overwhelmed.

So back to the drawing board. Keep you posted. :D

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Am sure there is a warranty will need to check this. Am planning on also trying to contact eCollegepc.com company and present my issue to see if they have anything to offer.

Also a bit of added info. As I told a game site I am on - just when I think I know something about PCs I get sort of a comeuppance. One has to do the f8 tapping on bootup NOT on restart! Thus was able to get into safe mode! Geesssshhh
AND THEN was able to do a restore but ONLY for 3 days ago not enough for what I think I wanted. And then at that, as the PC was booting to desk top got yet another runtime error message.

Will keep on keepin' on and try to follow your latest suggestions. Yes, I know the 'more the merryier' re advice for PC problems. But guess because I am such a novice - I get so caught up in trying to understand it all - get overwhelmed.

So back to the drawing board. Keep you posted. :D

Am sure there is a warranty will need to check this.

You may find software errors are not covered by the warranty. Since many things can go wrong it would be impossible to do so.

F8 is correct for bootup although none of us mentioned that as we didn't need to get into safemode and this gives me an idea. Only after the malware team have sorted you out with any malware you may have then you can try the following.

• Start the computer up and tap F8 until the safemode and other options appear
  • Select safe mode and load into the operating system
  • Click start and goto Control Panel
  • Click on User Accounts
  • Click create a new user account
  • Enter a password if you wish
Now restart your computer and try and log into that account to see if you can restore back to an earlier date other than 3 days. I would try and see if it will let you go back a month or so

Only do this after the malware team has finished however if the malware team do find viruses and remove them DO NOT do this action as they can be restored. Might be in your best interest to try that now before the malware team commence their work.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 30 January 2011 - 11:55 AM.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
When have time will try your last suggestion. Still waiting for malware report. Understand they are quite busy so not concerned. Again keep you posted. :D

rrioesmarex

rrioesmarex

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have found that the system restore process using the " programs " / accessories/ system restore hardly ever works.
Shut down you computer completely then restart holding down whichever function key takes you tho the black screen with all the start mode options.
Select Safe Mode, then wait through the various screens ( very slow ) until you get do you want to start in safe mode. Select NO and wait until the next screen comes up offering you a selection of re-set dates.
Select one about a week ago and then just wait while the computer goes through the motions of restoring your system to an earlier date.
It has always worked for me in the past.
The only problem is figuring out ( trial and error ) which function key to hold down to take you to the black screen

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

I have found that the system restore process using the " programs " / accessories/ system restore hardly ever works.
Shut down you computer completely then restart holding down whichever function key takes you tho the black screen with all the start mode options.
Select Safe Mode, then wait through the various screens ( very slow ) until you get do you want to start in safe mode. Select NO and wait until the next screen comes up offering you a selection of re-set dates.
Select one about a week ago and then just wait while the computer goes through the motions of restoring your system to an earlier date.
It has always worked for me in the past.
The only problem is figuring out ( trial and error ) which function key to hold down to take you to the black screen

The button you are meaning I think it realting to F8 however there is no system restore option. I think you maybe thinking of Last know good configuration however on Windows Vista and 7 you can select the option to repair your computer and use system restore from there as I think that is what you are meaning but system restore for Windows XP is available in normal mode and safemode.

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
To Wizzy2k5: I followed posting on MalWare site but from there I am lost. The suggestions are getting so technical that following them as a novice will be too much of a chore. Have tried before on other issues and promptly got so confused that had to give up.

Also either I am not used to the site but when I returned due to an email notification, it seemed several other people were asking questions for their problems and so got lost in their issues.

Have found, however, that the one error, run time, seems to have to do with desktop manager. So have disabled that at startup but think it should be disabled on the hard drive but have not found where that might be. Am eagerly awaiting now to see if I get that error message again. The other errors am still researching best as I can.

Will keep you posted whether I resolve anything or not so that the thread can be closed if admin. thinks necessary. Do appreciate all who tried to help and just wish I were more of a PC experienced person to be able to follow the more technical aspects of the suggestions made.

rrioesmarex

rrioesmarex

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Nope ..... I think on my machine it is F7 and it DOES offer you the option to start in Safe mode. When you press Safe Mode it scrolls through pages and pages of programming text before it reaches another page where it asks if you really want to start in Safe mode.
I then press NO and it moves on through more pages until you get the option of what date to re-set your system to.
And it works every time and gets rid of the malware problem

Advertisements

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Will have to remember this and give the system restore another try. Thanks for the tip.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Nope ..... I think on my machine it is F7 and it DOES offer you the option to start in Safe mode. When you press Safe Mode it scrolls through pages and pages of programming text before it reaches another page where it asks if you really want to start in Safe mode.
I then press NO and it moves on through more pages until you get the option of what date to re-set your system to.
And it works every time and gets rid of the malware problem

Just thought I would let you know most of the times it is F8 but it can change from time to time so i'm glad you mentioned as I forgot :D cheers. Once mine was F5 of all keys and F8 was my device boot menu ;) so pdcagirl I would try every single F key from F1 - F12 also if you can provide your system restore option it would be most appreciated as i've never seen it unless its a different version of Windows XP that you had and what I had. I'm not sure what country you are in but I know on mine it doesn't exist anywhere except in safemode and normal mode and i've been using a computer for 5 years plus however you learn new things everyday and since Windows versions have some of the same things on each operating systems i'll look into it on my Windows 7 machine.

Thanks

Edited by wizzy2k5, 29 January 2011 - 12:44 PM.

rrioesmarex

rrioesmarex

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Let me know if it works for you ...... Rioesmarex

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

Thanks for the information but there is nothing which comes up, neither does any option to restore or select dates. I can do this manually from the recovery console if I wanted to but mine is Windows 7 and all safemode options are the same excluding the "repair you computer" which comes with Windows Vista and Windows 7. Also in Windows XP this feature doesn't pop up. It maybe due to slight difference in operating systems which I find unuasal but I have been told that by Microsoft :D i've been in computers in detail for five years plus and i've never seen it yet so I think it may not be availble over here or might be a misunderstanding. If you can provide detailed information what to do step by step i'll look into it but at the moment i'm confused ;)

pdcagirl

pdcagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Waiting yet for malware to reply. If they do not soon, will move on the suggestion you made few posts back and as usual will get back to you.