Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FireFox Not Opening

• Please log in to reply

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
I recently had some issues(as did others) with Avast AV on my windows XP SP3 32 bit(seems to be the target for avast). I realized my AV had stopped functioning after the last up date. it was after other issues had rose as well that I found I could not open Firefox not knowing what caused it to stop(F) I was informed from TeeCee that I was not alone in this mass confusion. Others like myself had an issue with FF not working properly(among other issues) Before knowing I could not open FF I was having issues with my computer shutting down. I didn't think it would be related to Avast AV or FF was having an issues as I had this problem before and thought with the help of rshaffer61 that it was rectified. I figured it came back and that is when TC told me of others having similar issues.I have all but 2 issues rectified(had all but one now the second one is back) and they are I still can not open FF in my account on my computer and it hangs intermittently on shutting down. The strange thing is I have 3 other accounts on my computer and I can access FF on them (it opens with no problem) but I can not on my account which is the administrator account. I have done several things to get it to open without totally removing it as I really don't want to lose my bookmarks(have links from when I first got this computer 5.5 yrs ago)There are links there that I don't have on my lap top. I have tried:
1.moving profile to portable HD and installing the updated version, then moving it(profile)back into the same folder.
2.tried it in safe mode.
3.coped profile from one of the other account's and pasted it to mine.(transported via portable HD)
To no avail nothing seems to work short of uninstalling it completely and reinstalling it.
I'm just confused as to why it works great on the other accounts but not mine!:D Posted Image

Any Ideas?
Regards
BT

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Big Trucks,

There is a way to prevent from losing your bookmarks. Xmarks FF extension is what I use. It is a bookmarks synchronization service that almost went under before it was bought by Last Pass.

See here--> Bookmark Sync Service Xmarks Lives On After Being Acquired by LastPass

You can install that extension from here--> Xmarks for Firefox

The standard acct is free though they do have Premium accts. that cost as mentioned in the article in the first link above.

As for your acct. issues, I believe there is a way to create a new Admin. Acct. save your settings, delete the old Admin. Acct. and transfer them to your new Admin. Acct. Then import your bookmarks back into your new acct. from Xmarks online sync. service.

Please don't try that until further research or a more professional opinion is offered.

Donna

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
You don't need any firefox extension or add-on to back up your bookmarks, it has a built-in bookmarks back-up utility.

Bookmarks >> Organise Bookmarks >> Import & Backup >> Export HTML

Choosing the HTML backup option instead of the native "json" option allows you to import the bookmarks into a new Firefox installation or into almost any other web-browser.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 23 January 2011 - 09:17 AM.

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

You don't need any firefox extension or add-on to back up your bookmarks, it has a built-in bookmarks back-up utility.

Bookmarks >> Organise Bookmarks >> Import & Backup >> Export HTML

Choosing the HTML backup option instead of the native "json" option allows you to import the bookmarks into a new Firefox installation or into almost any other web-browser.

@ phillipcorcoran'
That sounds simple enough but how do I get there when I can not even open FF? Or are you referring to the bookmarks on my computer? If so I don't have "bookmarks" I have "favorites" and the list there is for IE not FF.

Hi Big Trucks,

There is a way to prevent from losing your bookmarks. Xmarks FF extension is what I use. It is a bookmarks synchronization service that almost went under before it was bought by Last Pass.

See here--> Bookmark Sync Service Xmarks Lives On After Being Acquired by LastPass

You can install that extension from here--> Xmarks for Firefox

The standard acct is free though they do have Premium accts. that cost as mentioned in the article in the first link above.

As for your acct. issues, I believe there is a way to create a new Admin. Acct. save your settings, delete the old Admin. Acct. and transfer them to your new Admin. Acct. Then import your bookmarks back into your new acct. from Xmarks online sync. service.

Please don't try that until further research or a more professional opinion is offered.

Donna

@ Donna:
Thanks for the info. I will take a look at the sites you listed here and see if they can help. I'm hoping that I haven't already lost them. I know it's not the end of the world but there were so many that I used only when I got on my XP as I have 2 laps and the one is 3/4 GU and the other is for others(family/Friends that may visit and my better half when ever he takes a notion.)Ill get back with you to let you know the verdict.
Regards
BT