Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

When I connect my printer (via USB) my computer freezes

• Please log in to reply

adifrank

adifrank

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I'm having difficulties getting my printer to work with my laptop.

The laptop:

Dell Studio 1555, running Windows XP (sp3)

The printer:
HP Deskjet 5743 (usb connection)

The problem:
When connecting the printer - computer freezes. When I disconnect the printer - computer unfreezes. In fact this happens even when the printer is OFF (but still connected to the AC).

Things I've tried and the results:
1. Tried uninstalling the driver for the printer, downloaded a new updated driver and installed it. This solved the problem temporarily. The printer worked fine until the next system restart or power off/on.
2. Tried connecting to different usb ports. All caused freeze.
3. Tried turning off printer and computer, then connecting printer to computer while both are powered off. First powered on computer, but computer froze during Windows boot.
4. Tried different usb cable. Same results.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is to try using the printer with a different computer. I need to bring the printer to where I have a different computer to do this, which won't be until later. If in meantime, someone has a suggestion, I'd love to try it.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

The only thing I haven't tried yet is to try using the printer with a different computer.

You also have not tried (or did not mention) using a different USB device on your computer, such as another USB printer, or mass storage device.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
True. Any other USB device works fine when connecting to any of the USB ports on the laptop. I tried a usb flash drive, a wacom tablet and an external hard drive. They all worked perfectly. The problem is only with the printer. Unfortunately I don't have another printer to try, but I have a strong feeling that the problem has to do with the driver (since re-installing the driver did momentarily fix the issue) or the printer itself. What puzzles me is the fact that the computer freezes even when the printer is OFF.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Well, off is rarely really off these days and typically is really some sort of standby mode. What if the printer is unplugged from the wall, but still connected via USB?

It could be a driver issue but I note the latest driver is from 2004. If this were a driver issue, it seems other XP users would have the same issue. So I'm leaning towards a problem with the printer.

If this were a PC, I would say to try a different pair of USB ports - such as the front pair as that may use a different USB controller. If it works on another computer, I would try a self powered USB hub.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I just tried the printer with a different computer. It worked, no freezes. I tried turning the printer off and back on again, restarted the computer. No problems.

So what does this mean?

If this were a PC, I would say to try a different pair of USB ports - such as the front pair as that may use a different USB controller.

It's a PC laptop. one usb port on the right side and two on the left.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

It's a PC laptop

A PC is considered a full size computer that sits on the desk or floor. A laptop is a portable computer, also, and perhaps more correctly called a notebook computer.

So what does this mean?

Well, it suggests a problem with the USB ports. I assume you have tried both sides.

I would disconnect the printer and uninstall the drivers again. Then reboot to hopefully clear out remaining settings. Then make sure you follow these Installation Instructions to download and install the drivers again. Note to ensure the USB cable is NOT connected until instructed to do so.