Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTDETECT failed!

• Please log in to reply

oh_not_again

oh_not_again

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have been trying to fix my computer (Toshiba U300 notebook) because it said no boot mgr. we tried to install this by using the Toshiba recovery disks but nothing was happening so we decided to install Windows XP Pro. Now the computer turns on and says the following then turns right back off and keeps repreating this on and off sequence.

Here is what it says:

Invalid BOOT.INI
booting from C:\windows\
NTDETECT failed

I have tried to get past this but nothing will work. I need help please

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

so we decided to install Windows XP Pro.

What was on the computer before please. Not XP I presume, as you say install, rather than reinstall.
So was it Vista Home Premium shown on your details
Was XP installed from a genuine source.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 January 2011 - 06:42 PM.

oh_not_again

oh_not_again

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes it was Vista 32 bit home premium... but for some reason it would not accept the recovery disks and Vista was pre loaded on the Toshiba. It did not come with a disk. I have XP pro so I tried it. I would like to go back to vista if possible. In XP it says my drivers are missing..

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I have XP pro so I tried it

Please answer the question - Is this a genuine XP installation CD. Is it a Microsoft XP installation. OR an OEM XP CD.
That is a Dell or whatever as against the Microsoft XP CD as you would receive if you bought XP to install on a generic computer.

By genuine I mean NOT a copy obtained from someone else.

oh_not_again

oh_not_again

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The cd is the official XP Pro from Microsoft for a HP system.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If that computer came with Vista installed - which product key are you going to use for the XP installation. Obviously the Vista key on the label on the base of the laptop will not work.

I would like to go back to vista if possible.

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/supportMyProduct.do?service=UK

Go here, as I do not know the exact model of Satellite U300 download the manual and see if there is a recovery partition normally on F11 or 12 for the Vista.
However there is EVERY chance that having installed or attempted to install XP it will not now work.

Whilst on the site you need to satisfy yourself that drivers are available for XP, which is what you should have done first.

It looks as though the install has been faulty, possibly a scratched or dirty CD or you have hard drive problems., or alternatively you did not remove Vista completely by formatting the drive
Either way I think it safe to say that you have serious problems. They could be the same cause as the original message in Vista.

However - if it is a matter of the Vista installation see this link but basically
Boot again from the XP CD and enter Recovery Console.
How many Windows installations are reported.
http://www.techsuppo...led-208258.html

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 January 2011 - 12:01 PM.